This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

On-the rise R&B singer Summer Walker’s album: Over It serves as a harmonious compilation of reflections on the nature of: sex, love, and womanhood. This album illuminates Walker’s rawest sentiments including those of frustration, desire, confusion and a combination regarding casual sex. Over It does a wonderful job destigmatizing the negative rhetoric around enjoying sex and more specifically, around girls engaging in casual sex. Walker’s lyrics never shy away from discussing the complexities of a hook-up and simultaneously celebrate and critique the discussion surrounding sex and relationships. In “Come Thru” she declares:

“I should’ve known better/ Can’t even pretend like I don’t want it again/ On the brain all the time/ Thinkin of all the things that we did/ You did somethin’/ ‘Cause shit like this don’t happen too often/ It’s the way you put it down/ I don’t want no one else around.”

Especially in the United States, sex is a taboo topic of discussion and is often only talked about from a homogenous perspective. We never address common topics like feeling as though you “need” to play hard to get following a hook-up, or the assumption that you “can’t catch feelings” if participating in a casual hookup, or the jealousy factor. From my perspective, Walker’s lyrics speak to so many women on different levels and carry metonymic significance. Over It acknowledges the intricacies of forging sexual and emotional connections. Hits off of this album including: “Off Of You,” “Come Thru,” and “Stretch You Out,” intimately illustrate Walker’s personal accounts with these connections and probe her central motifs of exploration. The album is complete with beautifully crafted lyrical harmonies as well as various featured artists such as A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Partynextdoor, and Usher. Summer Walker’s Over It is available for streaming on: Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, iHeart Radio, and Play Music.

Thought bubble...