Life > Experiences

Ranking Every Place I Visited When I Studied Abroad…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Last spring, I was fortunate enough to spend a semester abroad at Queen Mary University of London in London, England. And yes, I am one of those who came back from their time abroad saying that “it changed my life” and “I was meant to live in Europe.” It’s true, my time in London was amazing. I met new friends who I really bonded with, traveled all over, and, of course, did a lot of studying (*wink wink). I made it my mission to take advantage of the easy access to different countries while in London so I could visit quite a few places across the continent. Since being back at Colby, I love exchanging travel stories about where I went, what place was my favorite, etc. So, I’m going to rank everywhere I visited during my time studying abroad – and tell you my favorite thing about each place!

1. Lisbon (and Sintra!), Portugal: By far my favorite place I traveled to during my semester, Lisbon is like my own personal Nirvana. The city is vibrant but has a small-town feel. The people were so nice, the food was amazing, and there was so much to do! I could’ve stayed for so much longer (we were only there for three days)!
  2. Prague, Czech Republic: I went to Prague for my friend’s 21st birthday, and let me say, it did not disappoint! The bars are so unique and fun (go to Dog Bar, iykyk), and the city has such an interesting history. I definitely had the “Virus” when I went home (go to Prague, and you’ll hear the story). 
  3. London, England: My home base during my semester abroad, London has a special place in my heart. Sometimes, I still can’t believe that I lived there for five months. London is huge, busy, and loud – you will never run out of things to do. There are countless museums and historical landmarks. There is any kind of restaurant you could dream of and easy public transportation. 
  4. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: I visited Amsterdam during tulip season and it was so beautiful (keep in mind, the tulips are about a 45 minute car ride from the city). Amsterdam feels like a young city – it’s filled with art, food, coffee, and lots of bikes! 
  5. Barcelona, Spain: If you’re looking for a good time, all the time, Barcelona is for you! I’m convinced that Barcelona is actually the city that doesn’t sleep (except for their siestas) because they party all night long. All. Night. Long. 
  6. Stockholm, Sweden: I visited Stockholm in February, so it was very chilly! But, the city is so beautiful, especially the old town – Gamla Stan. The Swedes are as they seem, incredibly nice and welcoming. 
  7. Bath (and Stonehenge), England: I only spent the afternoon in Bath, but I desperately want to go back! A small city with a rich history (and the place Bridgerton is filmed), Bath has a lot to offer. There were amazing thrift stores, and make sure to check out Persephone Books!
  8. Edinburgh, Scotland: Again, we visited Edinburgh during the winter, and it was pretty cold! But, if you love Harry Potter, Edinburgh feels just as magical as the Wizard World. The small city is full of bookstores, bars, and cobblestone streets. Also, Edinburgh Castle is definitely worth a visit!
  9. Budapest, Hungary: My best friend and I did a super fun Booze Cruise with bottomless prosecco! We got to drink, sit in a warm cabin, and see all the sites at once! It was also very affordable – the whole experience only cost us around $20 each!
Natalie Foster is a senior at Colby College in Waterville, Maine. She is an English major with a concentration in Creative Writing and a Classical Civilizations minor. She is an avid writer and in her free time enjoys reading, talking about Taylor Swift, making Spotify playlists, watching Pride and Prejudice (2005), and practicing with the Colby Dance Team.