Style > Beauty

The Powerful Way a Skincare Company is Reclaiming an Oppressive Word

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

The word “b*tch” is generally used as a derogatory term to shame people. “God why are you such a b*tch?” or “stop being a b*tch!” are phrases often used as insults. However, Bitchstix, a skincare company that makes face and body products, is taking back control of the word. According to their website, “The reappropriation of the word B*TCH subverts the use of the word as a tool of oppression into the opportunity of empowerment. When language is used as to oppress and control someone, we have to be aware, be courageous, and take a stand.” Bitchstix creators want to destigmatize “b*tch” and take away the oppressive meaning behind the word (www.shopbitchstix.com/about/). Carrying around a chapstick with the word “b*tch” on it is a reminder that it is not a shameful, belittling word, but an empowering one.

About Bitchstix

B*tch /biCH/

1. A difficult or unpleasant event or thing

2. A complaint

3. Used to express displeasure

Bitchstix donates ten percent of every sale to a domestic violence shelter or a sexual assault prevention program of the retailer’s choice. Bitchstix is finding a way to give money to help protect people who have had the word “b*tch” used negatively against them, resulting in physical and emotional acts of violence. Supporting domestic violence shelters and sexual assault prevention programs clearly demonstrates Bitchstix’s morals and values and make me proud to support them as a company.

The Products

All Bitchstix products are made with organic, natural ingredients, and essential oils. Their products don’t contain genetically modified organisms, aren’t tested on animals and don’t use palm oils help preserve the rainforests. Their products are all about making you feel great, while working towards sustainability.

Bitchstix makes three different kinds of chapsticks: original chapsticks, vegan chapsticks, and sunscreen chapsticks, as well as four other body care products.

Original

The original chapsticks come in seven unique flavors: Acai Berry, Black Cherry, Citrus Orange, Classic Coconut, Eucalyptus Mint, Pink Lemon, and Very Rasberry. My personal favorites are the coconut and the acai berry.

Vegan

There are three vegan flavored chapsticks: Original, Pomegranate, and Spearmint. And, they are perfect for your devout vegan friends.

SPF

The SPF chapsticks are SPF 30 to protect your lips from sunny rays at the beach in the summer or the sunny glare bouncing off the snow during cold Maine winters. There are six flavors: Citrus Orange, Eucalyptus Mint, Lemon Twist, Green Tea with Aloe, Original, and Vegan Pomegranate. The SPF chapsticks are a bit stickier than the original chapsticks, but are still a great buy.

Bodycare Products

Bitchstix makes four body care products:

1. Big Face SPF 30 Bitchstix, so you don’t turn in to a tomato whether you are hitting the slopes or tanning on the beach

2. Quit Your Bitchin’ muscle rub, for when you have a hard workout and your muscles are painfully, wonderfully sore

3. Big Moisture Cocoa Butter Bitchstix, so your skin is always silky smooth and soft

4. Son of a Bitch Anti-Chafe, for when your skin is irritated and needs to be calmed down

All four products come out clear when applied to body parts, and follow the same GMO free, organic, environmentally friendly production and testing path that the chapsticks undergo. I personally love the Quit Your Bitchin’ muscle rub. It is similar to Icy Hot or Tiger Balm, but much easier and less messy to apply.

So get ahead of yourself for when you inevitably lose your chapstick, and buy a Bitchstix product right now. Help yourself feel better by staying in front of chapped lips, sore muscles, or sunburned skin, while supporting a company that benefits the environment, domestic violence shelters and sexual assault prevention programs. Buy your bitchstix now or discover more about this wonderful company by clicking on the link below!

http://www.shopbitchstix.com/

Maddie is a sophomore at Colby College and is majoring in Biology and minoring in Chinese. She is a member of the Colby women's squash team. She lives in Newton, and is an obsessive Red Sox fan. Maddie loves reading psychological thrillers and watching crime shows, including but not limited to Criminal Minds, White Collar, and Brooklyn 99. She enjoys hiking and one day dreams of hiking Mount Kilimanjaro.