This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

When I was about 11 years-old, a Lush Cosmetics store opened in my local mall. From then on, my life was forever changed. I was fascinated by all the bright colors and innovative products, but at the time, I didn’t realize the importance of this company’s mission and values. At Lush, the words “fresh” and “organic” go far beyond marketing purposes. Lush is passionate about creating unique products that are both effective and 100% vegetarian. The company continues to fight against animal testing, uses very limited packaging to decrease waste, and utilizes ethically sourced ingredients. If this hasn’t yet convinced you to give the company a chance, then let me tell you about some of my favorite Lush products that enhance my self-care routine.

Oatifix Face Mask – $9.95

I don’t know about you, but Colby winters tend to wreak havoc on my skin. If you have ever suffered from dry, sensitive, or flaky skin, then look no further! This mask, which smells like freshly baked banana bread, moisturizes and soothes skin and leaves it feeling velvety soft. These masks contain no preservatives and the ingredients are so fresh that the mask can only be bought in store and must be kept in the fridge. Each mask will last you about two weeks, and you will get approximately 3-4 uses per container.

Brazened Honey Face Mask – $9.95

Another of my favorite fresh face masks is Brazened Honey. This mask is great to use when your pores are feeling congested and your skin needs a deep cleanse. Brazened Honey is chock-full of spices, such as ginger and fennel, to stimulate the skin, as well as kaolin clay and ground almonds to slough away dead skin cells and impurities.

American Cream Shower Gel – $16.95 (8.4 oz.)

The smell of this shower gel makes me feel like I am a little girl again. The sweet strawberry and warm vanilla scents mix together to bring you back to slurping milkshakes at you local diner with loved ones. The shower gel is an enticing bubblegum pink color and moisturizes the skin while leaving behind a soft and comforting scent.  

Twilight Bath Bomb – $6.95

Lush is famous for their bath bombs, and they recently released a plethora of new varieties to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the invention of the bath bomb. All of the new bath bombs not only smell divine but also create hypnotizing swirls of color or special foamy effects in the tub. A tried and true favorite of mine is an oldie but a goodie. The Twilight Bath Bomb smells like lavender and is the perfect bomb to use to unwind and relax before bedtime. When you drop this bomb in the water, the purple of its outer shell mixes with blue and white froth to create the illusion of the night sky.   

Wiccy Magic Muscles Massage Bar – $12.95

The Lush massage bars are solid lotion bars that melt into oil when they come in contact with the warmth of your skin. This particular massage bar is magical due to the fact that it soothes sore muscles. It contains Aduki beans that work each muscle, and the cinnamon and peppermint oils in the bar give an icy-hot effect to the skin.    

Honey Lip Scrub – $10.95

I love all of the Lush lip scrubs, because all you have to do to remove the product is lick the sugar off of your lips. They have a couple of different flavors, but the Honey Lip Scrub is my personal favorite. If you lips ever feel tight or start to peel, use a pea sized amount of this scrub on your lips to slough off the dead skin. The hint of sweetness will also put a smile on your face!

Seanik Shampoo Bar – $11.95

Lush shampoo bars are perhaps one of their most innovative and eco-friendly products. One bar, which is a little smaller than a hockey puck, is the equivalent of three bottles of shampoo. All you have to do is wet your hair and use it the same way you would use a bar of soap on your body! This bright blue bar contains irish moss and seaweed which will soften your tresses and detangle, while sea salt serves as a volumizing ingredient to bring flat hair back to life. If you are looking to add environmentally friendly products to your routine, then consider investing in a shampoo bar such as Seanik!

Ocean Salt Face and Body Scrub – $21.95 (4.2 oz.)

This is one of the most effective body scrubs I have ever tried. Not only are the salt grains incredibly effective exfoliators, but this scrub is also packed with nourishing coconut oil and avocado butter to soften. It also happens to smell like a citrusy cocktail which is just the icing on the cake. I have yet to use this on my face, so be cautious if you have sensitive skin! Also, if you are looking to get a super close shave, then try using this in the shower beforehand. Just be sure not to use this post shave or else you will irritate the skin and it will sting!

Vanillary Perfume – $39.95 (1 oz.)

Do you love the smell of vanilla? If you are looking for a pure vanilla scent then look no further! This perfume is subtle but also lasts throughout the day. Lush makes this fragrance smell like the real deal by using vanilla absolute  (from vanilla bean pods!) rather than chemically engineered ingredients. This fragrance will leave you feeling warm and cozy all day without giving you a headache.

Whoosh Shower Jelly – $8.95 (3.5 oz.)

This is the perfect summer product to add to your shower routine! To cool down after a day in the sun or a sweaty workout, stick this shower jelly in the freezer for a couple hours before you use it. The citrusy scent combined with the cooling jelly will leave you feeling invigorated. You can also use this as is by taking a little pinch and lathering it up in your hands or in a loofah. A little bit goes a long way with this product, and it happens to be super fun to play with, too!  

Izzy is a senior at Colby College (Class of 2021!). She is a Psychology and Education double major. On Campus, Izzy is on the CCAK Student Advisory Board and the Community Engagement Committee. Izzy is from Wenham, MA, but she spends her summers under the pines as a counselor at an all girls sleep away camp in NH. She's an avid reader, loves to cook, and she also loves spending time with kids and empowering other women and girls.