Mug Desserts for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

We are officially in the holiday season, which means cozy blankets, twinkling lights, and delicious food. If you’re like me, you still have many finals to complete before heading home for the holidays. With so much work to be done and not a lot of time for myself, I scoured the internet and found some of the best holiday themed mug desserts! These recipes are perfect for when you want to get in the holiday spirit, but don’t have time for a full fledged baking night. All of these recipes are microwavable (or don’t require cooking) and take less than 5 minutes to prepare!

Gingerbread Mug Cookies

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons sugar (brown or white)

2 egg yolks

6 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 pinch salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ginger

Instructions

1. Place butter in the mug and melt in the microwave (about 30 seconds)

2. Stir in sugar

3. Pour in the egg yolks, mix thoroughly

4. Add flour, cinnamon, salt and ginger and stir until combined

5. Divide the mix between two mugs

6. Cook in the microwave separately for about 45 seconds – 1 minute (this timing is based on a 1200W microwave so your timing may vary)

[https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/gingerbread-mug-cookies/]

Chocolate (Peppermint) Mug Cake

Ingredients

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons sugar 

2 tablespoons cocoa powder 

1/4 teaspoon baking powder 

3 tablespoons milk 

3 tablespoons vegetable oil 

Splash vanilla extract, optional 

3 tablespoons chocolate chips

Crushed candy canes, optional

Instructions

1. Put the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in your 12-ounce microwave-safe mug. Blend thoroughly with a fork.

2. Add the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla if using and blend until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips (and candy canes if using).

3. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Do not overcook or the cake will be dry. Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before eating.

[https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/chocolate-cake-in-a-mug-3158576]

Snickerdoodle Mug Cake

Ingredients

1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 cup milk, at room temperature

2 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For layering/topping:

1 tablespoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Instructions

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon until thoroughly, completely combined, with no streaks of any ingredients remaining. Blend in milk, butter, and vanilla until batter is smooth. Into a 14-ounce (or larger) microwave-safe mug with straight sides, scoop a big spoonful of batter, then sprinkle with a spoonful of cinnamon sugar. Alternate layers, ending with cinnamon sugar.

Microwave on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until cake is done to your liking. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.

[https://www.fivehearthome.com/snickerdoodle-mug-cake/]

Santa Sundaes

Ingredients

Peppermint stick ice cream

Hot fudge topping

Whipped cream

Mini marshmallows

Candy canes

Glazed cherries

Instructions

Unwrap the candy canes, place them in a ziplock bag, seal it tight, then use a hammer (or any other sturdy object) to crush the candy canes. Once in small pieces, place two scoops of ice cream into your mug. Drizzle desired amount of hot fudge over the ice cream. Take the crushed candy canes out of the bag and sprinkle over the ice cream. Add mini marshmallows. Top your sundae with whipped cream and glazed cherries and you’re ready to eat. No cooking required!

Happy holidays to everyone! And remember, calories don’t count during the holidays.

Alexa is a senior at Colby College double majoring in Economics and French. She spent a semester studying in Switzerland and traveling across Europe. When she is not taking pictures of her food, she loves to ski the slopes of Sunday River and Sugarloaf, dance for Colby Dancers, and visit her CCAK mentee.