This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

It’s hard to avoid advertisements for skincare nowadays. Whether you’re on Youtube, watching TV, taking the subway or simply just walking through the street, it’s likely you’ve come across ads with the faces of women and men with blemish-free skin. I would always look in envy at these  models because my skin is nowhere as nice as theirs. I’ve always had acne here and there since middle school, so I’ve gone through an array of products from cleansing pads, acne washes, gels and creams to mitigate the irritation. Some of the products work well, but most of them were seldom helpful.

One type of beauty product I found myself wanting to learn more about was K-Beauty. However, there are more than a handful of brands on the market, and I had no clue where to start. I decided that I needed a sample of items in order to get a grasp of what brands and products I like. From then on, I took a good two hours of my fall break to research the most suitable subscription box for me. I settled on the monthly subscription box from TheKBeautyBox. Each month, subscribers will receive a box with four to six full sized items and samples. The box is $29.95 each month, but first time subscribers get $5 dollars off. I also chose this subscription box because shipping was included in the price.

It took a bit more than a week for my box to arrive because it was shipped from South Korea. The box itself has a nice floral print that could be repurposed or kept for organization or storage. I received a total of eight different products varying in size. I would categorize three of the products to be full sized. The others were all sample size. 

I also got two tiny bottles of SU:M37 Losec Summa Elixir Skinsoftener, The First Geniture Emulsion and JM Solution: Marine Luminous Pearl Deep Moisture Mask. I didn’t use enough of these products to know if they were helpful, but they seemed to help make my skin softer. 

Overall, I’m content with my first sample; however, I think it’ll take me more than a month to finish the products, so I won’t be ordering my next box until December.

Age 20’s Cell Bounce Watery Cleansing Foam (Full Sized)

1. A small amount was enough to fully cleanse my face.

2. My skin felt very dry afterwards, but my complexion looked smooth.

Age 20’s Caviar Bubble Serum

1. This serum smells amazing! 

2. It kept my skin hydrated throughout the night.

3. The packaging is unique and requires the user to twist the cap before use.

Laneige Cream Skin Refiner (Medium Size Sample)

1. This product is hard to use because the opening to the liquid is small. 

2. I didn’t notice any major differences with my skin after using this product.

Laniege Water Sleeping Mask (Small Sample)

1. The scent is very soothing, which is perfect for applying before bed.

2. The cream applied smoothly and helped my skin stay hydrated.

Primera Alpine Berry Watery Cream (Small Sample)

1. Another nicely scented product.

2. I noticed that my complexion seemed lighter and clearer after using this product. 

Gwendolen Huo is a junior at Colby College from New York City majoring in Environmental Studies and Art History. During her free time, Gwendolen enjoys embroidering, hanging out with friends, and baking.