It’s 2020, Give Sustainable Fashion a Try!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Nothing makes me happier than shopping for cute clothes. Whether it’s going through countless saved tabs online or trying out different outfits that I probably won’t end up buying in the store, I have always loved wearing cute clothes when I step out of the room. While shopping for new clothes sparks joy, it can take a toll on the environment, which is not the best when climate change is an urgent matter.  

During the beginning of the year, I knew I wanted to lead a more sustainable life. Even though it’s hard to make an impact on a large scale, taking baby steps, such as reducing waste and trying sustainable fashion, can all help create a more sustainable environment for ourselves and future generations. Sustainable fashion is a movement that seeks to foster change in the world of fashion by working towards more ecological integrity and social justice either through the production process or the labor system. Here are some ways for you to try out this super cool thing called ~ sustainable fashion ~  

1. Buy clothes from sustainable brands

While cute clothes are certainly very appealing to the eyes of a shopper, the production process of these clothes may be the complete opposite. Production processes like dying leather are extremely unsustainable because chemical toxins and metal waste used during the process are then dumped into local bodies of water, which leads to water pollution and disrupts the ecosystem. If you are ready to support sustainable brands, you should check out Everlane, Pact, Outdoor Voices, or Alternative Apparel. These brands are not only sustainable in terms of their production processes and the fabrics used, but they are also on the cheaper side of the spectrum because we all know that college kids are always on a budget!

2. Try thrifting

Thrifting is the way to go when it comes to sustainable fashion! You might think of thrifting as going to thrift stores and sifting  through racks of clothes just to find the perfect piece of clothing. However, as thrifting became more popular in the fashion industry, online thrifting has also become a thing. Websites like ThredUp, or even vintage/secondhand clothing accounts on Instagram, have become some online platforms that allow shoppers to browse through secondhand clothing without going through the entire store for over an hour. 

3. Sell your clothes on Depop 

As you go through your closet, you might find an article of clothing and can hardly remember the last time you wore it. It’s also possible that you stand in front of the closet and think to yourself, “There’s no way I would be able to wear this in Maine because of how cold it is all the time.” If this is you, it’s probably time for you to get rid of those clothes, either by donating them or selling them. If those clothes are cute and still fairly new, selling them on Depop might be an option. Depop is a social shopping app where users list items, either secondhand or brand new, ranging from clothing to cameras that they would like to sell at a lower price. You would do your part on creating a more sustainable environment and earn some extra money all at the same time. 

4. Redesign your clothes 

Afraid that you have to give up a piece of clothing you received from your best friend just because it no longer fits you? Fear not, a little creativity might save your day! While I’m certainly the least artistic person I know, you could be the complete opposite. If you don’t want to donate or sell a piece of clothing because it has special meaning to you, try making them into jean shorts, tube tops, crop tops, or you could even use pieces of the fabric to make them into scrunchies! 

Ready to give sustainable fashion a try? Go for it, and I doubt you’ll regret it!

Priscilla is a sophomore majoring in Economics with a concentration in Financial Markets. She calls Taipei, Taiwan home and misses the food deeply... Besides Her Campus, she is also an active member of Colby Student Investment Association and Women in Economics & Finance Club. She also serves on the Student Government Association Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee!