How To… Survive Your Twenty-first Birthday Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

So I turned twenty-one last weekend, and boy, was it an adventure. Everyone says it’s not that exciting, but trust me, it is. I no longer have to worry about getting in trouble for underage drinking. Big plus. But as excited as I was, I was also worried about the pressures around drinking now that I could do it legally—having everyone buy me a drink, handing me cups filled with God knows what, and demanding that I finish everything. And I wanted to remember my weekend, mostly so my mom wouldn’t worry, but also because I want to be able to tell stories about it to my family and friends for years to come. Luckily for me, I didn’t black out, or even throw up. But it wasn’t easy. So here are some good ways to make sure you remember and enjoy your twenty-first.

Watch what you’re drinking. Make sure you see what’s in each drink, and if you don’t know, ask. I know it might feel a little strange to ask a bartender or friend what’s in your drink, but it’s better to know so that you’re not mixing too many different kinds of alcohol, or drinking something that notoriously makes you feel sick.

Hand off your drinks. I’m not saying don’t drink at all, because trust me, you will. But you don’t have to drink everything that someone puts in your hand. It’s ok to put a drink down, or give it to someone else if you don’t want it.

Designate one of your friends to keep an eye on you. It’s easy to get out of control when you’re on your own, but if you have someone there to stop you if you’re really going overboard, it makes it a whole lot easier to have a better grasp on your night.

Make plans in advance. Don’t leave your twenty-first up in the air. Plan a dinner, or a party. Or both. That’s what I did. If I hadn’t planned something, I probably would have just wandered around from party to party, and it wouldn’t have felt special, at least for me. Do something, no matter how small, to make your weekend special—different from the rest.

Surround yourself with people you love and who care about you. You want to remember your night with your good friends so that your memories are fond rather than foul. You’ll be happy that you did it.

Take pictures. I always regret not documenting a night. Your twenty-first is a special day—make sure you get pictures with your friends, and random people, because you’ll be able to laugh about them later. You should see mine—they’re pretty funny.

Remember to have fun. With all of the stress, sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of how much you’re supposed to enjoy yourself. It’s your weekend. You’ve got to do you. And if you don’t like what’s happening, then change it up—move to a different party, talk to a different group of people, or just dance and forget about all drama.  

My twenty-first birthday weekend was amazing. I had a great dinner with my closest girlfriends, and a crazy party to follow. And I am so happy with my weekend. Everyone was supportive, and made sure I had a blast. But it wouldn’t have been the same if I hadn’t been responsible. Some of my advice may sound trivial because, yeah, it is. But it’s easy to lose sight of the simple things in all of the excitement. So don’t black out or spend your weekend throwing up on your twenty-first. Enjoy your time and remember it. You’ll be glad you did.

Pictures:
www.abernookgifts.com
www.zazzle.com

Eliza hails from Cambridge, MA. She is a senior English major with a concentration in creative writing at Colby College. She has been working with Her Campus Colby since it launched. At Colby, she is also mentors a little girl twice a week and cooks at the Mid Maine Homeless Shelter. She knows more about sports than most boys-- especially Boston sports-- her one true love. But she also has a passion for classic literature, fashion, and modern art.
Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.