This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Colby Holiday Gift Ideas 2012

It’s hard to believe that the holidays are almost here. Thanksgiving is almost a week away, which means that the winter holidays are right around the corner. We’ve already had our first snow, and the radio stations are beginning to cycle through their holiday playlists. At a time where work is beginning to pile up and finals are starting to loom, what better way to distract us than to figure out what we want and can give for Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanza/? Here’s a list that’s suitable for you, your friends, and family.

But first, gifts can be expensive and we know how stressful that can be so before we give you some specific gift ideas here are some ways to lessen the burden of spending.

1.     Organize a gift swap with your friends and set a limit of a $15 maximum. This way all of your friends will get a gift, you can be creative, and you’ll still have some money left in your wallet.

2.     Team up with your brothers and/or sisters! Looking to give Mom or Dad something to show how grateful you are? Pull your money with your sibs to come up with something great.

3.     Don’t overlook the homemade gift! A platter of holiday cookies or a decorated wreathe will get anyone in the holiday spirit.

Now for those gifts:

1. A Warm Winter Coat- Let’s face it; Maine is freezing in the winter. For those freshmen that haven’t yet experienced what a true New England winter is, all I can say is get ready.  On days when the wind chill is in the negatives, you’re going to be wishing you had a coat down to your ankles. For those who want to stay somewhat fashion-forward, though, there is a solution. Northface makes a down parka that sits above the knees and has an attached hood, which makes for a coat that’s functional and stylish. It’s a little pricy, but will definitely be worth having for your four years at Colby.

Already have a winter coat or a few? Donate one to a clothing drive to keep others warm too.

2. iPhone Cases- If you’re looking for a gift but don’t want to spend an amount close to your tuition, think small. While jewelry may cost you a bundle, iPhone cases have a huge market for both function and style, and won’t cost you as much as a ring from Tiffany’s. Designers and brands such as Tory Burch, Kate Spade, Specs, and Vera Bradley all make cases under $50. Society6 even lets you design a case with your own prints. Spec and Incase also make great cases with a little more protection than you’re going to get with some of the designer cases.

3. Amazon Prime Membership- While you may not think of an Amazon membership as being very personal, it’s a gift that everyone will appreciate. If you’re like the average collegiette, online shopping is a necessity. Think about how many items you’ve purchased online in the last few months or years. Now think about how much the total shipping would add up to. With an Amazon prime membership, you never have to pay for any two-day shipping on Amazon again. Not to mention the added perks of free television shows, movies, and discounts. It’s usually $75, but the student membership is only $40. Here’s one you and your sister can afford for your brother.

4. Tervis Tumbler- Have you ever been at a party and wondered, “I wonder how many people have used this solo cup before me?”  And been completely grossed out? Well, purchasing a Tervis Tumbler could be in your best interest.  The cups are insulated and even you can purchase different style caps that make them perfect for transporting. They come in a variety of styles, prints, and colors, so you can pick one up for you and a friend or family member. Tumblers start around $11.

5. Ski Pass- As winter quickly approaches, a large number of conversations overheard on campus have to do with Sugarloaf. If you’re new to the area, Sugarloaf is the largest ski mountain in the east, and it’s only about an hour from Colby. If you’re an avid skier, or even someone who plans on going four or five times, a ski pass is worth the money. If you purchase before November 30, it’s $359. While that’s a lot of money, think of it this way: a one-day lift ticket is $80, so the pass will pay for itself after five times. Please, please mom and dad!

6. Croakies- While it may not be beach weather, that doesn’t mean that people aren’t still wearing sunglasses. In fact, now that ski season is coming up, more and more people will be sporting aviators and Ray Bans.  So if you’re looking for a gift and don’t want to spend a fortune on a new pair of sunglasses, check out Croakies. They hook on to a pair of glasses and hang around your neck, so while you’re snowshoeing or just hanging out they won’t fall off. They start around $5 and come in a variety of colors.

7. Belts, belts, belts– Looking for a gift for a guy that’s hard to shop for? Look no further than La Matera belts. Hank Wyman (Colby alum!) started La Matera no too long ago, and we are extremely excited about the results. The leather belts have a western vibe with embroidered patterns that come in a variety of colors. They make a perfect gift for any guy in your life, and they’re worth the investment.  Most belts cost around $135, and the company is hoping to create a women’s line soon.

8. Stocking Stuffers- Need the perfect small gift that will fit in a stocking? Check out some of these ideas. “Totally Koozies” is an online company that allows you to create your own koozie by customizing its color, font, and description. They start at 24 cents, perfect for a small gift. Another option is a mini calendar or planner, just in time for the New Year. We’re partial to the Lilly Pulitzer agenda, which comes in four different colors. The small agenda is $16 and the large is $26. Lastly, Swiss Army knives have recently come out with a line of fun, patterned knives. If you know someone who already carries a Swiss Army knife or someone who might like one, check out their fun new colors starting at $24.

Picture Source: 

http://lamatera.myshopify.com/…

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.