This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

I am sure you have noticed already, but I feel the need to announce that it is finally spring in Maine! Don’t get me wrong, there are lots of things I love about winter in Maine. There are activities that are only possible when there is snow on the ground, and I would never give those up. However, there comes a point where the freezing wind and icy walkways and bulky jackets become frustrating. Also, having been a freshman last year, I have not yet had the chance to experience spring in Maine because we were sent home. Fingers crossed that we are able to stay on campus this semester because I already love what little spring I have experienced so far. 

I’ve felt like I have been in a bit of a rut this semester. Covid-fatigue, plain old burnout, whatever you want to call it, I have been feeling it. From many conversations with others, it seems like we are all feeling it collectively. But with the arrival of spring, the atmosphere on campus seems to have shifted from one filled with tiredness and stress to one filled with energy and hope. The past three days have been sunny and I have taken advantage by sitting outside to do some work. Surprisingly, it is not the sunshine I have enjoyed the most, but rather the people. I am not the only one who has been outside. Everywhere across campus people are soaking up the sun. 

Although the college has not yet brought back out the outdoor furniture from its long hibernation, people are finding creative ways to study in the sunshine. Whether they bring blankets and towels, chairs from their rooms, or folding tables, everyone seems determined to get outside and welcome spring. Today I did my remote class outside on Zoom. I felt a bit funny wearing my sunglasses, but I was too happy to care. Also, people are not only taking their studies outside but also their favorite activities. Whether it be tossing a frisbee, playing an instrument, singing, grabbing a meal with friends, or taking a nap in the sunshine, people are doing it all outside. 

Yesterday I decided to face the daunting task of opening my window  (for some reason it is incredibly difficult, trust me). My dorm room is finally filled with fresh air again. Faint voices and laughter of those walking by float their way into my room and make me smile. In the cold, dark, quiet winter, it is easy to feel more isolated. It feels like the world is waking up again, and I am waking up with it.

Emily is currently a sophomore at Colby and is a Psychology major and Philosophy minor. She is from Massachusetts, but loves living in Maine! She enjoys creating, whether it be arts, crafts, or writing. She is a lover of animals and misses the company of her cats while at school. She loves getting outdoors and seeing everything the world has to offer. Feel free to reach out or say hi!