This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Fall is in full swing and Halloween is around the corner, so it’s time to break out the Halloween decorations. The easiest way to decorate your room is to start with the whiteboard on the back of your door. Draw a pumpkin, a ghost, or anything that reminds you of Halloween and the fall. Decorating the whiteboard will instantly make your room look homier even if you have no other decorations. Outside of your door, real or fake pumpkins are also a cute touch.

Once the outside of your room is decorated you can focus on actual room decor. An easy place to start is a fall scented candle and orange-colored accents around the room. If you want to get really fancy, you can add orange string lights and fake leaves around your windows or walls. You can make paper spider webs out of plain pieces of paper by first cutting the paper into a circle. Once you have a circle, fold the paper in half and then fold it three more times into a cone shape. Then you can cut slits into the cone shape, making sure you don’t cut all the way through the seam. The last step is to cut out every other slit and unfold. If you really want to go the extra mile, painting or actually carving the pumpkins is a great touch. You can find other fun DIY crafts here. Another fun way to get in the Halloween spirit is to “Boo” your neighbors by dropping off a bag of candy, other goodies, and a note telling them to pass on the “Boo” to another neighbor. 

At the end of the day, any decorations are better than none. Decorating and making your room unique to you and your roommates helps make your dorm feel like home. Having a homey room feels especially important this year, now that people tend to spend more time in their own dorms. 

Sarah Gold

Colby '23

Sarah Gold