Gym Chronicles: How to Boost Your Gym Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

We’ve been at school for 7 months now and the gym has little desirability. Combined with final essays, exams, and last minute summer planning, you may not be craving your ordinary hour gym workout. Here are some ways to spiff up your fitness routine and burst a little excitement back into it.

1. Update your iPod- The music you liked a few months ago is probably not aligned with what tickles your fancy today. Make the gym exciting by adding new songs or a new playlist for you to enjoy. Get enthusiastic about Wiz Khalifa coming and add some of his songs, may I suggest “No Sleep” as a fantastically fun song to workout to.
  2. Reinvent your goals- We’re a few months from our New Years Resolutions. Maybe you hit your goal, forgot about it, or found it unrealistic; now is the time to reflect and rewrite your goals. Summer is coming up so maybe you set a short-term goal, or maybe you’re more long run oriented and want to set a goal for the next school year. Whatever it is, make your gym experience purposeful to YOU, which will give you more energy at the gym.
  3. Be sporadic- I will admit my gym time can be too outlined or scheduled. Make it more exhilarating by randomly deciding to go. Are you in the library struggling to write a paper at 11am hankering to get outside and run? DO IT! Not only will the gym seem like less of a chore and more of a personal interest, but “runner’s high” could really help with your writer’s block.
  4. Vary your routine- One of my favorite ways to sweat is during a workout class. There is no slacking when there are 20 to 30 other people in the room in addition to a teacher with a microphone. Try out that step class or interval class with friends for a break from the robotic moves of the elliptical. Maybe you need to slow it down and meditate? Try a lunchtime yoga class to really change up your schedule.
  5. Clean up- Spring-cleaning anyone? Fight the urge to save all the cleaning for the last day of school, you’re just going to want to leave anyways, and go to the custodian’s closet in your dorm to borrow a mop, gloves, trash bags, cleaner, ect. Did you know an hour of vigorous cleaning burns 160 calories? Let me tell you though, it will probably take a little longer. So no need to feel guilty about skipping the gym when you’ll be sweating and cleaning at the same time!

Did you recover from a gym slump? Let us know how you did it!

Photo Sources:
http://www.apple.com
http://www.clipartguide.com

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.