Style > Decor

Fun Ways to Decorate Your Dorm Room, This Fall and Beyond!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

The Fall semester is an exciting time, and what better way to celebrate the turning leaves and first snows than to decorate your dorm room? Expressing yourself through your decor is fun, but can be daunting, so here are some ideas to start your decoration journey if you’re feeling uninspired!

The Obvious: Posters and Photos

Posters and photos are easily the most iconic method of decoration. Order yourself some fun posters, print some of your favorite photos, and you’re all set! These should take up a pretty large portion of your wall on their own, but if you’re still looking to spice up your space, keep on reading.

Flags

With flags, you can show off parts of your identity that might not otherwise show in posters or photos. You can use national flags, pride flags, whatever you desire. It’s a fun way to add a lot of color to your room all at one time.

Fun Plushies

Is your bed looking a bit sad? Toss a few plushies on top! Not only do plushies act as great aesthetic clutter for a room, but they also add a few friendly faces to your bed to welcome you when you get back from a tough day of classes.

Desk Trinkets

Purchasing a few useless objects to place on your desk is a great way to add some personality to your workspace. Crystals, figurines, snow globes, succulents, etc. can really help to make your workspace a lot more inviting!

Gel Window Clings

This is an often overlooked way to decorate your room! Gel clings that you can stick on your window make your room distinct on the inside and out. They come in cute seasonal sets a lot of the time that you can switch out as you want to, or, just stick with the same ones all year if you want!

Stickers and Magnets

Why not make your fridge and microwave a little more appealing with some magnets? School-specific magnets are easy to find and throw onto any depressing, plain microwave. Stickers are fun to stick on random objects you have, too, like your lamp, for example. Just make sure you only put stickers on objects/furniture that belongs to you so the school doesn’t punish you for damages caused.

White-Board Drawings

Many dorm rooms have a white board on the door, which you can decorate with markers! You can also tape papers to it.

Scents

Is the musty dorm smell not your favorite? Try using a scent spray, or oil distiller to make your room smell just how you like it. Scenting your room is a nice final touch to complete a beautifully decorated room!

I hope I gave you some new ideas for your room! Have fun personalizing!

I'm Gemma! I like video games, TV, fandom, science, and art. I love to write about whatever I am passionate about at the time. I never stop talking about my favorite things in real life, but I will try to restrain myself here for the sake of everyone's sanity and actually write something coherent for everyone to read. :)