Small Pumpkin In Hand
Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Fun Fall Break Activities (and Food!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Here we are everyone…we made it to fall break! I think it is fair to say that this semester has come with some pretty significant changes, and along with that oftentimes comes heightened anxiety. While this break will look different than most, it is a great chance to relax and recharge before we face the second half of the semester. Below, I have  highlighted some fun activities happening on campus and other ideas to spice up your long weekend:

Things Happening on Campus (see the Campus Life email for more details and Zoom links!):

Colby Votes Democracy Bingo – 5:30 pm on Friday 10/9:

What could be better than democracy themed bingo? Word on the street is that they will also have prizes. Additionally, Colby Votes would love to help you register to vote or answer any questions about the voting process in Maine. 

Isuken Co-op Food Truck Friday – 10:00 to 12:00 pm on Friday 10/9:

The Isuken Co-op Food Truck will be coming to the Eustis lot this Friday night. They specialize in Somali-Bantu cuisine that is made using farm-fresh ingredients. Their online menu looks delicious, so I’m sure it will not disappoint.

Apple Fest – 1:00 to 4:00 pm on Saturday 10/10: 

This Saturday on Dana Lawn SPB will be hosting Apple Fest! This is a great way to remain socially distant and enjoy being outdoors. SPB has promised apples, pies, and donuts, and you can even sign up to go apple picking!

Brulee Bike Food Truck – 9:30 pm on Saturday 10/10:

Colby loves food trucks, and I’m definitely not mad about it. The Brulee Bike’s menu also looks amazing, with traditional flavors such as chocolate or more creative flavors like honey lavender. While there is no way to guarantee they will have all of these options, it looks like whatever you order will be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. 

Fall Foliage Walk – meet at 2:00 pm on Sunday 10/11 at Lorimer Chapel:

Have you noticed that the leaves are starting to turn? If your semester looks anything like mine, then you’ve spent a lot of time on your computer doing work or attending Zoom classes. October in Maine is gorgeous, and this weekend is the perfect time for a walk to admire the leaves. You can sign up to walk with a group that will be leaving on Sunday at 2:00 pm, but if that’s not your style, then you can certainly go solo or with a small group of your own.

SGA Kickball Tournament – 11:00 am to 5pm at the Colby Baseball and Football Field

The last campus event that I will highlight for you is the SGA Kickball Tournament. Perhaps you have signed up with a team, but if not, then you can cheer on your friends and classmates as a spectator! There will also be an option to stream the finals if you would rather spectate from your own bed. 

These are only a handful of the activities happening on campus, so be sure to check out the Campus Life email that was sent out on Wednesday. If you are a foodie like me, you’ll be happy to know that there will also be more food trucks. 

Speaking of food, below I will list some of my favorite Waterville restaurants and what I like to order at each place in case you are looking to get away from the dining hall at some point this weekend:

Portland Pie – The Bradbury Mountain Pizza 

Pad Thai Too – Fresh Rolls and Dumpling Pad Thai

OPA – Saganaki (Fried Cheese) and if you are 21, they also make a flight of flavored mojitos!

Silver Street Tavern – Spinach and Artichoke Dip (add bacon!)

Selah Tea – Tropical Treat Smoothie, Cold Jar, or Caprese Melt

Jorgensen’s – Sausage, Egg, and Cheese on an Asiago Bagel or a Scone

Grand Central – Chicken Pesto Pizza

Hopefully you now have some ideas for how to spend fall break, but the list above is not exhaustive by any means. Feel free to get creative! We’d love to hear how you plan on spending your fall break. Whatever it is that you decide to do, I hope that you treat yourself, take some down time if and when you need it, and remember to be safe.

Izzy is a senior at Colby College (Class of 2021!). She is a Psychology and Education double major. On Campus, Izzy is on the CCAK Student Advisory Board and the Community Engagement Committee. Izzy is from Wenham, MA, but she spends her summers under the pines as a counselor at an all girls sleep away camp in NH. She's an avid reader, loves to cook, and she also loves spending time with kids and empowering other women and girls.