This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Even though summer is still two months away, it is never too early to start crafting the perfect summer reading list! Whether you are looking for a trashy beach-read or for a more thought-provoking novel, here are five books that you can read anywhere, anytime, to keep you stimulated this summer.

The Heist by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg

FBI Special Agent Kate O’Hare has worked her entire life to catch charming, attractive, slippery con-man Nicholas Fox. However, once she finally catches him, her boss informs her that she and Nicholas will actually be working together to outsmart wealthy criminals that the FBI cannot touch. A clever tale unfolds, hilarity ensues, and the reader is on the edge of their seat until the very last page of the book. This book is great if you want a light read while tanning on the beach or need a distraction on your morning commute. And, if you are disappointed once you close the book because the adventure is over, never fear! There are four other books in the series for your entertainment.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Pi is moving away from India with his family. They are traveling by cargo ship, which is also full of all different kinds of animals. While in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, a storm hits, destroying the ship. Pi manages to escape on to a lifeboat, where he finds two other animals have joined him: a tiger and a hyena. Martel crafts a beautiful and enchanting story about the journey of these three contrasting beings. This book makes you think deeply and feel strongly. It is definitely not a light and casual read, but it is a thought-provoking and stunning novel that is absolutely worth the read.

Becoming by Michelle Obama

In her memoir, Michelle Obama, former First Lady of the United States, describes the experiences that have molded her in to the woman she is today. From her childhood in the South Side of Chicago, through the years of starting a family and building a career to becoming the first African-American First Lady, she documents the successes and the challenges of her life. Her memoir is an amazing read because she is passionate about so many issues, like women’s rights, inclusivity for all, and creating a healthier lifestyle, and this passion shines through in her writing. This novel is very easy to speed through, not because it contains light and fluffy material, but because of the way it inspires and empowers the reader. This book is a captivating way to start your summer, giving you the feeling that you are able to conquer the world, no matter where your summer takes you.

Artemis by Andy Weir

Jaz Bashara is living in the world’s first lunar colony on the moon called Artemis. She is struggling to make ends meet until a Swedish billionaire hires her for a job and promises to pay her well. She accepts the job, but as she delves deeper into the world of the billionaire, she realizes she is caught between a territory war between multiple powerful parties. Artemis is similar to The Heist, where both books are funny, have strong female leads, and tell of a tale of a con. However, Artemis requires a bit more focus to read because it takes place in a new world where there are new terms and rules that the reader must learn. It is a fun and interesting read that will expand your sense of adventure this summer!

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

On Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary, Amy disappears, leaving the entire town, including her husband, wondering what could have happened to her. As Nick goes deeper into her past, he realizes that he did not know his wife as well as he thought he did. As her murder investigation progresses, some also believe that Nick is the person who is responsible for Amy’s disappearance. This book keeps the reader in suspense from the very first page as, by the end of the book, you end up questioning what you know about the characters. This book draws you in with excellent writing and a plot line that leaves the reader with more questions than answers, making you want to solve the mystery as much as the characters in the book do. Gone Girl is a suspenseful and quick read that doesn’t require a lot of focus, but you are carefully looking out for any details that could give you a clue as to what happened, so don’t read this book in a distracting environment!

No matter what you are doing this summer, you now know a book for every occasion! So put down your phone, pick up a book, and get ready to be sucked in to many engrossing stories.

Maddie is a sophomore at Colby College and is majoring in Biology and minoring in Chinese. She is a member of the Colby women's squash team. She lives in Newton, and is an obsessive Red Sox fan. Maddie loves reading psychological thrillers and watching crime shows, including but not limited to Criminal Minds, White Collar, and Brooklyn 99. She enjoys hiking and one day dreams of hiking Mount Kilimanjaro.