This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

In some ways, it’s hard to believe that Fall Break is already here. In other ways, it feels like we’ve been at school forever and this break couldn’t come sooner. Even though we still have two more weeks of class before the big weekend, it’s a good time to start making plans.

If you live in the Northeast (especially 20 minutes outside of Boston), chances are you want to go home for the weekend. It’s the perfect time to catch up on some sleep (in your own bed, I might add), pack up everything you forgot to bring to school, and do some shopping. If you don’t have a car, make sure you ask some new friends before you call Mom and Dad to come pick you up. Check online to find the Concord Coach schedule. If you’re not a bus person, there’s probably someone at school who lives in your area and can give you a lift. If you don’t know anyone who lives near you, try posting a request on the ride board on the General Announcements. If you’re close to a major city, you’ll definitely be able to find a ride home.

For those of you who don’t live close enough to go home, no need to panic. Plenty of students are in the same situation and more than you think don’t want to go home this early in the semester. Plus, it’s fun to be at Colby when there’s no school but the dorms are open. Ask anyone who has ever been a COOT leader or student athlete about “Camp Colby.” You’re bound to get some great responses.

But if you want to get off-campus, you still have plenty of options. And as I said, it can be nice to get out of the Colby bubble for a few days. Here’s a list of ideas for you.

1. Go home with a friend. Many Colby students are thrilled to bring a friend home and show off their new college bestie. Plus, you’ll probably get most of the perks of being at home, like a home-cooked meal and a shower without flip-flops. Personally, I love seeing where my friends grew up and meeting their parents. Most of the time, it explains everything!
  2. Visit a home-friend at college. If you’re a freshman, you might be a bit nervous that it’s too soon to visit your friend at her school. But most likely, your friend will be thrilled to have you and it will make her happy to feel a piece of home in a new place.
  3. Explore Portland, Portsmouth, or Boston. All three are easy to get to and have plenty of things to do. Team up with a friend or two and make a mini-trip out of it!
  4. Take advantage of the Maine woods! Go hike Sugarloaf, Katahdin, Bigelow, Acadia, Mt. Blue, or Mt. Douglas. Talk to one of the Colby Outing Club officers for itinerary ideas, gear, and more!
Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.