jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Exploring Maine: Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Why did you choose Colby? For many, it’s accessibility to the outdoors. Located in central Maine, Colby is  nearby so many places worth exploring. I grew up in a small coastal town outside of Portland, ME. For someone who has lived in Maine nearly their entire life, I really didn’t venture much in high school. My weekends consisted of trips to Portland or the occasional drive to Boston–it wasn’t until I got older that I realized how beautiful the state truly was. 

Over the weekend, my friends and I headed down east to Bar Harbor. It’s less than two hours away and is home to Acadia National Park, which, in my opinion, is the best park in the state. Fall is one of the best times to visit! The views are spectacular as the leaves change color. If you’re looking to get off campus, I would definitely recommend visiting. 

If you’re a seafood fan, there’s plenty of restaurants downtown with fresh Maine lobster, as well as various shops with specialty Maine treats like homemade blueberry jams, maple candies, and more.  

Lobster dinner at Stewman’s Lobster Pound

[Photo courtesy of Katie Zajkowski]

If you’re looking to explore the park, you can drive or hike up Cadillac Mountain. If you go up at sunrise, you’ll catch the most spectacular views. This weekend we went in the afternoon, and it was just as beautiful.

Views from the summit of Cadillac Mountain

[Photo courtesy of Katie Zajkowski]

Another few spots in the park are Thunder Hole and Jordan Pond. At the Thunder Hole, you can watch the waves crash against the rocks–waves can splash as high as 30 feet! After sightseeing, I recommend visiting Jordan Pond for lunch. They have the best popovers and tea. Located right on the water, you can’t go wrong. 

Thunder Hole on a calm day

[Photo courtesy of Katie Zajkowski]

Views from Jordan Pond

[Photo courtesy of Katie Zajkowski] 

Get out there! Fall in Maine is the best season. There are so many opportunities to explore. Sometimes a break from campus to see something new may be just what you need.

Katie is a junior at Colby College majoring in Economics and Mathematical Sciences from Cape Elizabeth, ME