timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Essentials to Survive the Maine Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Maine winter hits different. It’s cold, it’s dark, and you really just want to go to bed the whole time, but you have a lot of work to do. Everyone told me this prior to arriving on campus, but I did not truly understand the ferocious Maine cold until I endured my first winter at Colby. No fear—though! Here are some essentials for surviving the Maine winter. 

Warm Hat

When I was younger, my mom would always tell me to wear a hat because “most of my body heat is stored in my head.” But I would never wear them––partially because I did not believe her but mostly because I thought hats did not work with my head shape. However, for my first Waterville winter, I finally realized what she meant. Hats really do warm you up, especially if you are wearing a lighter jacket. I honestly wear hats outside and inside (third floor miller can get chilly), and I recommend you do, too.

Hand and Foot Warmers

The first time I went skiing at Sugarloaf during my freshman year Jan Plan the “feels like” temperature on my weather app was negative fourteen degrees. However, with the help of hand and foot warmers, I was able to avoid frostbite and keep all of my limbs. These are necessary for any subzero skiing or snowboarding.

Blundstones

These weather-proof Chelsea boots are a more stylish alternative to Bean boots. I can walk through the snow and still look cute. Although they are on the more expensive side, they are very durable, comfortable, and versatile. They also have good traction, so you will not find yourself slipping on Colby’s icy paths. If you have terrible circulation like me, I recommend you get the thermal ones. The bottom of each boot is lined with sherpa fur. 

Hot Chocolate

Nothing feels as comforting as drinking a cup of hot chocolate. It’s a source of sweet warmth after a day of skiing at Sugarloaf or sledding on the chapel hill. Or, it provides just enough of a sugar rush to wake you up during a late night homework break. Whether you make hot chocolate at Dana, treat yourself in the Spa, or get your own mix for your room, hot chocolate is a delicious treat for a bitter, snowy day.

Wool Socks

My friends make fun of me because I always wear wool socks. Like always. But, there is a reason I wear them! They keep my toes warm, and when the temperature hits below freezing, preventing toe numbness is a necessity. 

Warm Parka

This seems like an obvious one, but a good, warm parka can make or break your winter walks across campus. Prices definitely range for this essential item, but regardless of how much it costs, I recommend looking at the tag of your coat to see if it is suited for colder temperatures.

Hopefully, these tips help you avoid hypothermia this winter––stay warm!

Maddie Squire majors in English and minors in Cinema Studies at Colby College. She is from Rye, New York.