This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

One of my favorite things about living in Colby’s downtown apartments is having access to such a nice kitchen. Few things make me happier than food, so this year one of my New Year’s resolutions was to be bolder and more creative in the kitchen. However, I’m also a full-time student trying to manage my time as best as possible, and I can’t exactly spend hours cooking dinner every night. Over our long winter break, I compiled a list of easy but appetizing recipes that I really wanted to try over JanPlan. I wanted to share some of my favorite ones!

Cauliflower Tacos

I loved these unconventional tacos! Although the recipe calls for a cashew crema, I swapped that for a salsa verde.

Pasta with Kale, Shiitake Mushrooms, and Sausage

My mom’s NYT Cooking account never lets me down. This was my first time making a pasta recipe that called for chicken stock and it was way less difficult than I anticipated! I’m not a huge fan of the texture of mushrooms but I love the flavor, so I chopped the mushrooms into smaller pieces and it worked out great.

Kung Pao Cauliflower

This is it. This is my new favorite thing that I know how to make. I’m straight up addicted to P.F. Chang’s Kung Pao Chicken and this almost fills the void of there being zero P.F. Chang’s in the entire state of Maine. When I made this one of my roommate’s remarked that they couldn’t believe I could make cauliflower smell so good. And the recipe was so easy! If you make one thing on this list, let it be the Kung Pao Cauliflower.

Brussels Sprouts Tacos

Another veggie taco recipe that absolutely slaps. My favorite thing about this recipe is the salty-sour vinaigrette for the brussels sprouts. I don’t have a food processor so I topped these tacos with crushed peanuts and lime instead of the spicy peanut butter. 

Blythe Romano is currently a junior at Colby, where she is an American Studies major and a German minor. At Colby, Blythe is a research assistant, a writer for the Pequod Literary Magazine, and a frequenter of many yoga classes. She also helps run social media @hercampusatcolby!