Style

Dressing For the In-Between: Winter to Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

As March comes to a close in Maine, we finally start to see little signs of spring. The days are longer, the sky is bluer, and the snow and ice that blanket campus begin to melt away. It’s what we’ve all been waiting for, but those long-anticipated fifty degree days can be confusing for our wardrobe. It’s too warm to be wearing a winter parka, but still too cold to be outside in short sleeves. It’s no longer winter boot season, but I’m afraid we’re not quite at flip flop weather. In the past, I have struggled to remain stylish during this seasonal in between, and it is often tempting to give up and just wear leggings and a sweatshirt until it’s time to break out summer dresses and shorts. However, I find that the joys of spring are that much better when we celebrate in style. Here are some ways to feel good and look good during the transition from winter to spring:

Accessorize

Recently I have been finding myself frequently wearing jeans, a basic sweater, and white sneakers almost every day. I love this go-to outfit, but it can get boring. When the sun comes out, I love adding sunglasses to my outfit. They are both practical and stylish. Whether they are statement glasses or sleek aviators, they will heighten the style of your outfit. Another accessory that I love for the springtime are hoop earrings. I have small, medium, and big hoops and will increase the size if I’m looking for an extra wow-factor for my outfit. They are fun and classy and will bring a pop of life to an otherwise dull outfit.

Experiment

I absolutely love a good pair of jeans, but I think that spring is the perfect time to experiment with more unique bottoms. Another cute and comfortable option are joggers. They aren’t as tight as leggings or jeans but they remain flattering and stylish. They look great with your favorite everyday sneakers and are paired nicely with a basic tee or long sleeve. A great example are  “Justine Joggers” from Anthropologie. These joggers are not only stylish but also work as lounge pants. Another pant I’m loving are wide leg styles. They stray from the basic skinny leg and turn your pants into a statement piece. You can find these in denim as well as a wide range of fabrics. “Drapey Paperbag Pants” from Madewell in a rusty orange have an airy, spring look to them and include a fabric belt that you can tie into a bow to add another fun aspect to the look. Pairing these with a tight-fitting top creates a unique and flattering outfit. Another item that keeps you warm but screams spring are jumpsuits. These pieces are incredibly stylish, unique, and also comfortable. If anything, they are the easiest outfit because it takes care of top and bottom in one. They tend to be short-sleeve, so pairing them with a jean jacket or sweater creates a spring look that people will envy.

Patterns

For me, winter is a time of chunky sweaters that tend to be darker and a single color. I love my chunky grey, black, and navy sweaters but as spring rolls around they no longer feel appropriate. What better way to celebrate the flowers blooming and the grass growing than wearing brighter colors and fun patterns? My favorite way to incorporate pattern and color into an outfit is through scarves. A light scarf in the spring is the perfect way to bring a dull outfit to life. Madewell has an abundance of breezy scarves ranging from polka dot to floral to paisley. They are colorful, easy to wear, and scream springtime. As an added bonus, Madewell offers 15% off for students if you have a student ID! Another of my favorite stores, H&M, has a whole “Spring Fashion” section on their website, with a subgroup of solely animal print clothing. A leopard print blouse is fun, colorful, bold, and screams I’m done with winter. H&M is slightly more cost effective and, similarly to Madewell, they offer 15% off for students!

Eating Well

Although this doesn’t enhance your outfit, changing your diet can help you transition from winter to spring and get you into a better mindset. In the winter, I love to get cozy with a cup of tea and eat warm, heavier comfort foods. However, some of these dishes can leave you feeling dragged down during the warmer and lighter spring days. A spring salad is the perfect way to eat well and feel good as we move away from winter. My favorite is a strawberry walnut salad, simple and super delicious. Along with fresh strawberries and walnuts, I like to add goat cheese, grapes, thinly cut green apple and a lemon dijon vinaigrette. Another great way to transition from winter to spring is to switch over from hot chocolate, teas, and lattes to fruity iced drinks. My favorite order from Starbucks in the warmer months is an iced peach green tea lemonade. It gives you that caffeine boost but isn’t nearly as filling and perfectly compliments the springtime feeling.

I’m sure everyone is just as excited as I am to be moving away from winter and into spring. Here’s to stepping into spring looking good and feeling even better!

Olivia is a sophomore at Colby College and is a Government major and Sociology minor. Olivia loves her hometown, ~historic~ Concord, Massachusetts, and is a pro scooper at the local ice cream store (her favorite flavor is coffee oreo). She was once an avid horse girl, is currently an avid fan of the Bachelor, and loves the "Star is Born" soundtrack. She loves to travel (esp. to Europe), but unfortunately is afraid of flying (she has embarrassingly fainted on multiple flights). She is the eldest sibling yet is constantly looking to her twelve year old sister for wisdom and advice. After graduation, Olivia hopes to live in an apartment in Boston with friends, spend too much money at restaurants, and become a better Boston sports fan. :-)
Hannah is a current junior at Colby but is originally from Weston, Massachusetts. She is a Government Major and Creative Writing Minor and has always had a strong passion for reading and writing. At Colby, she is active on several student committees, is a member of the Colbyettes Acapella Group and is the President of the Her Campus chapter at Colby.