Popped Popcorn
Popped Popcorn
Kirby Barth / Spoon

Dorm Snacks You’re Missing Out On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Everybody is guilty of sitting in their room at 11:00 PM realizing there is no way they are going to go to sleep without eating something. I am a huge proponent of snacking, and since starting college this fall that has not changed in the slightest. My space for keeping snacks, however, has shrunk. So, what snacks do I have?

If I am super hungry and need more of a meal, the classic mac and cheese always hits the spot. I also occasionally get two cups from a dining hall, one with milk and the other with cereal, and stick the cup of milk in my mini-fridge until I am ready for my mini-meal. By doing this I can enjoy fresh cereal, plus I don’t have to buy anything. Rice cakes with Nutella and peanut butter are also filling and delicious. You could also use sunbutter, jelly, or any other spread. Quick oats are also a great option.

For something a little lighter: pretzels, pita chips, crackers, or baby carrots with hummus is great. Snacks like granola bars, individual applesauce pouches, or individual pirate booty bags are good for on the go snacks, like class or before practice. Microwave popcorn is a classic. And clementines are delicious. Raspberries, Cheez-its, and granola are also great. 

For your sweet tooth always have chocolate or your favorite candy on hand, or, if you’re me, both. On the drinks side of things, having an electric kettle for coffee, hot chocolate, or tea is also nice, especially in the colder months. 

As for organization, get a tub with a lid or a set of drawers depending on how much food you have to keep all the food sealed. A couple of chip clips are a good investment, or you can use a hair elastic. Also, it’s good to have a fork, knife, and spoon, plus a mug, bowl, and plate. 

Set yourself up for success with your dorm food. Have stuff you like that can also be used in a variety of ways. Keep in mind you don’t want pungent foods because the smell will never leave your dorm. Happy snacking!

Sarah Gold

Colby '23

Sarah Gold