This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

To be honest, ever since I’ve stepped on campus, I have not been the biggest advocate of our dining halls. Although some days the dining halls do pull through (hi, Foss!), other times I’ve found myself bored and disheartened with options on campus. After realizing that the Spa was draining my wallet, my fast metabolism was ultimately lost after I hit puberty, and my pants were beginning to feel tight, I needed to make a change and focus more on what I was eating. While we do have some good food options off-campus in Waterville and Augusta, I’ve discovered that creativity in the dining hall will get you far. Here are some of my go-to tips!

Add a Protein

This one may seem basic, but if you’re bored with your salad combos, add a protein! Just because there aren’t chicken, beans, etc. in the salad station doesn’t mean these ingredients aren’t nearby. If I want a filling salad, I often take chicken from Dana Grill, slice it, and add it in. Same goes for beans, tofu, steak… whatever it may be!

[Courtesy of Katie Zajkowski] 

Salad Bar + Build Your Own Pie= Delicious!

My friend Lily showed me this trick– every Wednesday when Dana has the build-your-own pizza, it’s easy to mix up your classic cheese or pepperoni for something more refreshing. The salad bar goes a long way! Instead of loading your pizza with marina and pep, try an arugula base with some cheese from the salad bar and add your favorite veggies on top.

Vitamix Will Be Your Best Friend

I bought a Vitamix from the Bookstore freshman year and haven’t looked back. Both Dana and Bobs have smoothie stations, so take advantage of them! I usually mix frozen fruit, two bananas, and apple juice for a base and place it in a bowl and add granola, chia, coconut, berries, honey, and peanut butter on top to make a smoothie bowl. If you’re on the go, you can also mix up a simple smoothie and drink it from the Vitamix cup. You can add protein powder, kale… anything goes! Cleaning the cup after can be a drag, but it’s worth it every time.

[Courtesy of Katie Zajkowski] 

Go Grocery Shopping!

One of my favorite toppings is avocado, and at Walmart or Hannaford they’re relatively inexpensive. I usually buy one or two a week. Sometimes I will make avocado toast topped with an egg from the egg bar at Foss, or sometimes I’ll throw it in a salad. If you don’t see an ingredient in the dining hall, buy it! Buying small seasonings, veggies, fruits, etc. that can be easily put in your bag and brought to the dining hall make a huge difference at a low cost. Just remember that Dana is a nut-free facility.

Cheese platter

This is another one inspired by my friend Lily! If you want a quick snack, make a cheese platter! Take crackers, cheeses, jam, salami, and other favorite ingredients that can almost always be found throughout Dana and make your own spread.

Although the dining hall may seem repetitive (and can any food really compare to food from home?), mixing it up and combining new ingredients adds a feeling of home and health to any dining hall meal.

Katie is a junior at Colby College majoring in Economics and Mathematical Sciences from Cape Elizabeth, ME