This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Growing up, I have always been a huge homebody. Don’t get me wrong, I love going out with my friends and exploring new places, but at the end of the day, nothing beats home. Having a place to go to at the end of a long day where you can relax and unwind is unbeatable—and great for your mental health. While transitioning from home to a college dorm may be tricky, with creativity, you can easily make your space feel like home. I lucked out my first year and had a roomy double in Woodman, a spacious dorm on campus, and my sophomore year I had a single in Taylor. Although this year I am living in an off-campus house, I have incorporated almost all of my dorm decor from my first year! Here are some tips for creating a space that feels like home—even if its less than 100 square feet.

1. Think Long Term

When you’re looking to decorate a space, think long term. Not only is it inefficient to buy new bedding, furniture, and decor every year— it’s expensive! If you know blue is your favorite color, pick pieces that reflect that, whether it’s bedding, a rug, etc. If you know you’ll ruin white, don’t buy things you know you’ll trash and have to discard once the school year ends. 

My room from my first year. I still use the same pillows, bedding, and curtains

[Photo courtesy of Katie Zajkowski] 

1. Pick a Theme

Similarly, think of a color scheme that suits your personality. Personally, I love neutrals. They’re simple, easy to add different color decor to, and they’re not going anywhere anytime soon. Another idea is to pick a metal and stick with it. For example, all of my accents are gold. Pick a few colors or pieces you love and build from there. 

My room my sophomore year had everything from my first year, plus seafoam accents

[Photo courtesy of Katie Zajkowski] 

1. Choose Decor

Decor makes a bedroom. My personal favorite spot to pick up decor pieces for my room is HomeGoods because they have so many options at such affordable costs. Throw pillows, blankets, candles, and wall art are go-to’s and can be easily swapped out if you decide to mix up colors or metals. This year, I bought wall stickers for $9.99 on Amazon! They peel off, and they made my oddly shaped wall blend in with the rest of my room. I usually spend more on storage pieces and bedding and then buy various cheap decor items to mix things up. 

My room this year has the same bedding as previous years, plus the wall stickers 

[Photo courtesy of Katie Zajkowski]

1. Be Practical

Let’s be real—if you’re in a dorm, you probably don’t have much space to work with. Be practical and be smart! If you raise your bed, you can fit clear containers under your bed to store extra towels, bedding, food…whatever your heart desires. Get bins or a shoe rack for your shoes to save closet (or cubby) space. Another item I love is my ottoman. I use it as a step to hop onto my bed, but it also serves as storage for my extra shoes and sweaters. Walmart has great options and at a low cost. Make sure every piece of furniture is functional—that way, you have less clutter and more room to relax. 

1. Sentimental 

Lastly, to create a space that feels like home, add sentimental pieces. I love having photos of my friends and family in frames on my bedside tables. I also use diffusers. Growing up, my family had one scent for every diffuser and candle in our home, so bringing that scent to school makes me feel at ease. Whether it’s a blanket, stuffed animal, scent, or picture, having a sentimental aspect of your room will make you feel at home. 

I cannot stress the importance of creating a place in which you feel comfortable. Between hectic midterms and exams, whirlwind schedules, and the stress of everything that comes along with college, having a spot where you can relax and sleep well is extremely important. Prioritize yourself this semester and don’t be afraid to set aside some time for you in a space you enjoy. 

Katie is a junior at Colby College majoring in Economics and Mathematical Sciences from Cape Elizabeth, ME