This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Looking back on December 2019, I remember seeing so many posts on social media saying 2020 would be the best year yet. While 2020 has truly been a year that is unlike any other, the unexpected turn of events and the unprecedented challenges have all taught me the importance of finding the silver lining in things.

In this season of gratitude, I thought I would take this time to reflect on my year and count my blessings, however big or small they may be. 

1. Good Health 

With COVID-19 hitting all parts of the world, I am especially grateful for great health this year. I would also like to take this time to say a big thank you to all the healthcare providers who have been at the frontline, trying to battle this virus and saving patients’ lives, all while having to take care of themselves and their families’ health. Even though we may not be on campus right now, I urge you all to continue following social distancing guidelines, avoiding large gatherings, wearing a mask, and staying at home during this holiday season. It is so important to continue doing your part because this virus is still deadly and is still affecting many people’s lives. 

2. New Friends & New Experiences

Even though 2020 has brought a greater level of uncertainty and has forced us to adapt to a new way of living, it has introduced me to new friends and experiences I would not have had otherwise. From going on weekend excursions around Maine to making friends with people I sit next to in in-person classes, these new friends and experiences have made me appreciate the opportunity to go to school in Maine and the privilege to attend in-person classes. Despite the many activities and events that were forced to be removed from the traditional college experience, I am grateful that I will be able to look back on my time in college and celebrate everything that blossomed from this unprecedented time. 

3. The Colby Community

When we were asked to pack up our stuff and leave campus last March, a sense of reluctance and sadness was felt on campus. Nobody wanted their semester to be cut short, especially since it would mean some people wouldn’t see their friends for as long as six months. I can still recall how excited my friends and I were when we got the email from President Greene announcing that students would be able to return to campus in the fall. Everyone within the Colby community did their part to make sure that we would be able to stay on campus together until the end of the semester, and for that, I could not be more thankful. I’d be lying if I said remote learning is the same as in-person classes, so having the opportunity to be back on campus and have some classes in-person and spend time with friends is definitely one of the many things I am beyond grateful for this year. 

4. My Family 

Coming to college as an international student, I knew I would not be able to go home during every single break. However, not being able to go home since I moved into college in August of 2019 is certainly not something I expected. While I miss home and my family, especially during the holiday season, I am incredibly grateful for the ability to stay virtually connected to them and to share my day with them despite being miles away and twelve hours ahead of them. 

5. Self Growth

2020 has been a year of growth for me personally. From learning to live alone for six months to taking care of myself mentally, I am proud of how far I have come and how much I have grown in a span of a year. Yes, there have been some very tough and lonely times. There have been times when I would think about my friends and family back home, and the next second I would catch myself crying myself to sleep because of how terribly homesick I am, yet these tough times have shown me my strength and resilience. It has also taught me how important it is to find the good in the bad even when it seems impossible to do so. 

As you hit pause and reflect on your year, I encourage you to think about a few things you are grateful for. Whether it be the big things, like reaching a personal milestone, or the small things, like a delicious homemade meal, I hope you find joy in a year filled with unforeseen challenges.

As always, stay healthy, stay warm, and wear a mask!

Priscilla is a sophomore majoring in Economics with a concentration in Financial Markets. She calls Taipei, Taiwan home and misses the food deeply... Besides Her Campus, she is also an active member of Colby Student Investment Association and Women in Economics & Finance Club. She also serves on the Student Government Association Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee!