Clothes of the Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Have you ever been in the middle of a text conversation with the handsome lad you met the night before when the screen of your iPhone suddenly goes black? Or maybe you’ve opened and closed your closet door fifteen times before you got dressed for school, hoping each time something new will appear? Well, if you answered yes to either of these questions, you’ll no-doubt want to be the first of your friends to know about these pretty sweet clothes of the future.

BBC released an article last week titled “Computerized Fabrics in Clothes Could Charge Phones.” Although they predict it will take another 20 years or so for the technology to be available to consumers, we at HCC found this revolutionary idea to be shareworthy as its both practical (the answer to the “material girl’s” prayers) and exciting. Professor Joanna Berzowska at the Department of Design and Computation Arts at Concordia University in Montreal is heading up the project which they’ve deemed “Karma Chameleon.” Through the introduction of “electronic fabrics into clothes in a way that allows the storage of energy from the body,” Berzowska hopes to develop a technology that could “create garments that transform in complex and interesting ways.” Some of the other potential uses cited by Berzowska include the possibility of charging electronic devices and the ability to “warm the wearer,” allowing for warm weather outfits in the dead of winter. In fact, the British military could soon be pioneering the adoption of this technology in order to “replace [the] cumbersome batteries and cabling” that they currently wear in their uniforms.

Sources: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/tech…

Image Source: http://www.voxtropolis.com/eri…

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.