Mary low coffee house latte with latte art
Original photo by Marina Takagi

Barista Picks: Mary Low Coffee House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

When I was a freshman, one of my favorite places on campus was the Mary Low Coffee House. I loved it so much that the next year, I applied to work there! During a normal semester, the place is full of students doing homework, catching up with friends, or listening to live music. All orders are currently to-go because of the pandemic, but we’re happy to be open and serving up the drinks we all know and love. Here are some of my top, “barista’s choice” picks if you’re looking to change up your regular order.

Lavender Latte

This is a great drink for spring. A regular latte with two pumps of lavender syrup, it’s the perfect drink to get if you want a strong, aromatic coffee with just a hint of sweetness. 

MLCH Tip: If you want a pump of lavender added to any drink of choice, ask the barista to “make it floral.”

Miel

A miel is a latte with honey and cinnamon mixed into the espresso. It may just be my all-time favorite drink. The honey makes the espresso slightly syrupy, the cinnamon gives it a bit of a tang, and altogether it creates a drink that is sweet without being overbearing.

Kombucha

We get all of our kombuchas from a Vermont company called Aqua ViTea. Kombucha is said to help with digestion and boost your energy and immune system, and most importantly, it tastes great. My favorites are Strawberry Sage and Blueberry. We have a rotating tap of flavors, so make sure to ask the barista which one is currently in the keg!

Iced Caramel Latte

You can never go wrong with a classic. A latte with caramel infused into the espresso then poured over ice, it is the perfect drink to get if you want a little something sweet.  It tastes just as good hot.

London Fog

This is Mary Low’s secret menu item! A London fog is like a latte, but instead of espresso at its core, it’s a concentrated shot of earl grey tea with vanilla. If you want some caffeine but just aren’t in the mood for coffee, this one is for you. It tastes like a warm hug.

Come by MLCH to try one of these delicious drinks, or anything else on the menu. You can’t go wrong! We’re open Monday – Friday from 8:00 – 4:00 and Sundays from 10:00 – 4:00. I can’t wait to see you there!

Sydney is a senior at Colby originally from Wilmette, Illinois. She is a German Studies and English double major with a concentration in creative writing. On campus, Sydney is a COOT leader, member of Colby Dance Company, barista in the Mary Low Coffee House, a language assistant, and president of Colby's chapter of HC. When she isn't working, dancing, or writing, you can probably find her laughing at her own jokes or talking about the Midwest.