This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Is it just me, or has your Instagram been hit lately with a smattering of foliage-filled pictures of hiking trips, pumpkin patches, and other fall-related activities? I know I’ve seen a ton of fun stuff happening around Maine, and personally, I’ve found a new love for apple picking these past few weeks. Even as it gets a little chilly to be outside, I thought I’d offer some reviews of some pick-your-own orchards close to Colby for whenever the time is right to go!

Ricker Hill Orchards

Ricker Hill Orchards, located about an hour away from campus in Turner, ME, is a large orchard with plenty of activities for a fall day. Here, you can find a petting zoo, a corn maze, and many sweet treats like cider and donuts. If you’re over 21, they also have a hard cider tasting restaurant! They, of course, offer many apple picking opportunities, with an expansive set of trees in an orchard that has a beautiful view of the Maine landscape. I have not yet gotten the chance to visit Ricker Hill, but my friends who have been (and provided this photo, thanks!) have had nothing but rave reviews. 

The Apple Farm

The Apple Farm (a very straightforward name, I know), is about a 15-minute drive from campus and offers an apple orchard, as well as cider, donuts, pumpkins, and a cute little barn store (pictured). It’s great for a quick trip, or a longer excursion if you really want to explore! As a bonus, across the road, there’s a beautiful sunflower field that is great for an impromptu photo shoot. Personally, I would recommend heading to the back of the orchard to find the best honeycrisps I have ever tasted! 

Lemieux’s Orchard

Lemieux’s orchard is also close to Mayflower Hill, only about a 20-minute drive south! At the orchard, you can pick your own apples or stock up on pre-picked varieties. They also offer fresh batches of apple cider, and the country store on the property is a great place to encounter any apple-themed baked goods you could imagine! Honestly, I think exploring the store might have been the highlight of my experience here. It is so apple-themed and smells so good!

Natalie is a junior at Colby from Capitol Hill in Washington DC, but is currently abroad in Sweden! She is a Government major and an English minor here at Colby.