Advice from a senior, washed-up girl: Explore Colby and the Greater Waterville Area.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

In the spirit of a senior, washed-up girl, I don’t have many regrets this year. Sidenote: I’ve always struggled with the idea of regrets because everything I have done, every mistake I have made, has led me to where I am today. However, with my graduation from Colby in just over a week, I thought it would be appropriate to list some local gems I found later in my Colby career that I regret I didn’t discover earlier.

1)  The bridge in the arboretum. To be completely honest, I don’t really even know where you enter the trails. But a few weeks ago, I went on a walk by myself and it was one of the greatest things I’ve ever done. I’d heard about this mysterious bridge at some point in the past four years, but I never realized how cool it was. I stumbled upon the river the other day, after switching back and forth from the yellow path to the green path about five times, and I took a moment to sit down and take in my surroundings. I have never felt so at ease by myself in the middle of nature.

*On that note, there are many other cool trails! I’d read email after email from the Outing Club (which I signed up for freshman year and never went to) about trail runs, but I never really understood that the trails were literally right here. Or that there were so many of them. Here’s a quick guide.

2) The Hume Center. When else in your life will you have such easy access to a beautiful lake? Though the water is cold, lay out on the dock and relax. Enjoy the scenery. Maine is famous for its lakes (the state is home to over 1800), so take advantage of the fact that you have one waiting for you to come play.

3) Sunday brunch at Bonnie’s Diner. Grab a couple of friends and head out to Winslow to eat at Bonnie’s. It’s a super cute, only in Maine kind of diner. And everything is delicious. Especially the cinnamon rolls.

4) The Green Spot. If you feel like splurging on groceries one day, look no further than the Green Spot on KMD. I went with my friend the other day and we couldn’t believe how fresh all of the food looked. Not to mention the wine selection. Far more sophisticated than Hannaford’s!

5) TJ Max. Where I grew up, I don’t think we had any TJ Max’s. One of my friends insisted we go a few months ago and I couldn’t believe that they had so many cute tops (which were so inexpensive)! Let me tell you, next time you’re bored with your wardrobe, instead of online shopping, head down to TJ’s and grab a new $15 top. The best part: you don’t have to feel guilty when it gets ruined at the Lodge on Saturday night!

All in all, I encourage you to explore Colby and the surrounding area. Learn the shortcuts through town (I still can barely get from Jorgensons to CVS without going back through Colby). This is your home for four pivotal years, so you might as well make the most of it!

Photo Credit: http://www.watervillemainstree…

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.