This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Whenever you go to sporting events here at Colby, you can be sure to see the Colby mascot, The Mule.  Who is the person behind the mask?
This week we are highlighting Adele Priestley!  She is known for many things around campus, including her famous costume skiing and of course, being the Colby Mule mascot.  Read her interview to find out more about what she does around Colby.

1. Where are you from?
Stowe, Vermont

2. What is your major?

English major, Education and Italian minors

3. Why did you choose Colby?

Honestly, I came to Colby because it was the only school I got into. I knew I wanted to go to a small liberal arts school where I could ski, but Colby  wasn’t necessarily top of my list. I like to think that Colby chose me haha, but really I just got lucky.

4.What is your favorite class you have taken at Colby?

Public Speaking with Professor Mills. I signed up on a whim and by the end of the semester I was comfortable talking about pretty much anything and saw a whole new side of my classmates (literally, naked people). Mills is a magician, and it has already come in handy in the real world

5. What are you best known for on campus?
Possibly my costumes– my roomates and I have an entire room for costumes at our house and I wear them a lot. If you’re into politics, then maybe for aggressively campaigning for two class presidencies and losing both. 

6. Being the school mascot, what is your favorite sport to watch and cheer on?

Water polo. Also hockey because I get to skate. 

7. What other programs, clubs, or activities are you involved in on campus?

I’m on COOT Committee and I’m in the Hip Hop Crew. I also work as an Admissions Intern interviewing students, and I work at the info desk. I wrote for the Echo sports section, I’m the Italian department student ambassador, depending on the semester I student teach, I am in Senior class council, and I’m co-president of Colby Freeride and Mule Mob! 

8. Do you have any advice for incoming freshman?  What is the best thing to get involved with on campus?

Try everything and live for now. Do things because you enjoy them. You have four years, along the way don’t be afraid to let your goals change and live in the moment. Senior you isn’t going to be freshman you… Also: dance on elevated surfaces often, be a COOT leader, streak at least once, eat breakfast at Bonnie’s Diner, get some good snowboots, learn to love Franks Red Hot, explore Maine, and do you.

9. What is the craziest costume you have skied in?

Skiing in the Mule suit was the hardest costume I’ve ever tried to ski in (very low visibility). I think the coolest was my homemade unicorn though.

10. What is your most memorable experience here at colby?

Woah, hardest question I’ve ever been asked. There are so many memories that define my time at Colby. But if I HAVE to pick one I think I would say sophomore year Mule Mob day when everyone in Dana, including the workers, got up on the tables and danced to Heart Vacancy.

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.