5 Fun Games to Play When You’re Bored

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Maybe you need a study break from midterms, maybe you need yet another form of procrastination for writing your paper, or maybe you just like playing games. If any of these are you, have no fear! Here are a few fun games that you can never outgrow, no matter what anyone says.

1. Duck, Duck, Goose

A classic. Although this game can be aggressive and at times dangerous, it never fails to entertain. You may also learn a little more about some of your East Coast vs. West Coast friends in the pickle jar vs. mush pot debate.

2. Thumb Wars

“1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a thumb war.” These words have not only the power to create great joy, but also the power to end friendships. Choose your opponents wisely.

3. Last Penny Standing

You keep finding spare change on the ground, but what can you do with it? A ‘dilla costs a whole $6, so it will be a while before you can save up for something worthwhile with mere pocket change. Now, I’d like to put in my two cents by telling you to use this money to compete with friends to see who can spin their penny the longest. All you need is a hard surface, dedication, and a touch of raw talent. May the odds be ever in your favor.

4. Gobbledygook

If this game has a true name, it is unbeknownst to me. The rules are simple: find a friend, and tell them to say a random word. You then say the first word that pops into your head, and then your friend does the same. Keep it up until you get bored or until you need to stop because your adrenaline is pumping too high from the intensity of the game.

5. Red Rover

Remember elementary school when your teachers always yelled at you for playing this game? Well that era is rover! No parents, no rules, Mules! Now that you are in college, you are free to run through a human barrier of locked arms as much as you please. 

Happy gaming! HCXO