jessica felicio kgv0t4pI1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jessica felicio kgv0t4pI1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Style > Beauty

As a Young Black Girl- A Natural Hair Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

As a young black girl, I’ve grown up in a society where the words “pretty” and “natural hair” only apply to white females. I’ve grown up resenting going out in public with my natural hair in fear of being teased that it wasn’t “done” because I didn’t have weave in my hair. I still actually resent going out in public with my natural hair unless I’m on the way to my hair appointment, but for different reasons. 

As a young black girl, it was hard showing up to classes or going to work and having a white coworker or my teachers comment: “You did something different with your hair” or “Your hair is shorter, how’d that happen”. Having to cringe while they tried to touch my hair as if I was some animal at a petting zoo, as if admiring from afar was an impossible feat. Going from natural hair to weave seemed to be so astonishing to some who were unaware of that type of change, but it was more normal than changing my pants for myself. 

Now, there are African American women fighting for the rights for young women like me and themselves to be able to wear their natural hair in the work setting. It’s completely crazy that “natural hair” for races are extremely different in circumstances of the workplace and laws. I can’t seem to fathom how a ponytail of curls could be different than highlighted strands of hair for others. Why does the crown on my head seem to distract anyone from doing what they’re supposed to do? Why, in some cases, are women in cosmetology school not being taught to work on kinky hair? 

My natural hair, like it or not, will always be regarded as beautiful and a work of art. It is not meant to be played with and it is not meant to be disrespected through cultural appropriation. 

As a young black girl, I want you to respect my kinks and my curls.

Kira Lloyd

Coastal Carolina '20

Someone who is invested in living her life to the fullest. I'm all about positivity because I know I won't be here for a long time. I can make anyone laugh so that's a good thing. An English major with the heart of a journalist just trying to make it in this game called life.