Yes, and What’s Been Leading Up to AG7?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

AG7 has been a long time coming. A long hiatus filled with R.E.M. beauty products and the occasional photo dump has not been nearly enough for arianators.

Ariana Grande’s music journey has been one for the books. Her debut album, Yours Truly, followed by her sophomore album, My Everything, helped break her out into the industry. Through these albums alone, she successfully turned herself from Nickelodeon Star to Pop Star. Her third album, Dangerous Woman, aided in changing the narrative of how Grande was perceived. With a more mature sound and visuals, she hit a new level. However, a new high came with many lows. 

Grande went through many pitfalls that she had no control over. The brutal attack after her Manchester concert in 2017 left Grande to take a break. I can’t imagine how it must have felt to be in her position considering how heartbreaking it was to even hear about.

The following year, Ariana released her fourth album, Sweetener. Sweetener possessed a completely different sound as Ariana worked with Pharrell Williams, his inspiration seen and heard throughout the record. It was received with praise and criticism alike. Despite public opinion, the record was a new opportunity for Ariana. It was a chance to refresh her music as well as her life. It was healthy to try something new considering all the singer went through. 

Shortly after the release of Sweetener, Mac Miller passed away (Grande’s ex). Then, she went through a very public engagement/breakup with comedian Pete Davidson. Although this was painful for the singer, she came through on the other side with her fifth album, thank u, next. In my opinion, this record is a sister album to Sweetener. Both the records dealt with the aspect and heartache of healing. Sweetener dealt with the lighter parts of healing, while thank you, next dealt with the yucky parts of healing. They are almost like an angel and devil situation, a yin and yang. There can’t be light without darkness and vice versa.

We also can’t forget that she wrote one of the best breakup songs of all time: “thank u, next”. In a polarizing world where most breakup songs were negative, it was refreshing to see a new take on this feeling. The feeling of being thankful for what you had and anticipating what was to come.

The last music the public heard from Grande was her sixth album, Positions. To me, this album showed how love can be healing. It proved that love can transform someone and push them farther along their journey. There was a beautiful safe ‘love bubble’ feeling surrounding the entire record. However, since the album’s release, Grande has gotten a divorce from her husband Dalton Gomez, whom the album was rumored to be about.

All of this being said:

Will this song address any of these issues?

Does the production sound different?

Is Ariana trying to tell us something?

Upon listening to “yes, and?” for the first time, I was stunned at the beat and lyrics. The beat imitates a “vogue” vibe that makes you want to get up and strike a pose. While the beat is great, the lyrics do just what I thought – address a situation.

Since Ariana’s last music release, many comments have been made about her body. Some people online called her out for being ‘too skinny’ and looking ‘unhealthy’. She seemed to address this in “yes, and?” when she says, “Don’t comment on my body, do not reply. Your business is yours and mine is mine”.

In the sense of clapping back, Ariana also decided to throw in, “Why do you care so much whose **** I ride?” to which I think is about her rumored romance with co-star, Ethan Slater. Considering the public had a lot to say about this relationship, it makes sense.

So, what’s my prediction for the album? – I think Miss Grande is going to take a ‘reputation’ like approach to her new era, considering the *situations* briefly mentioned in this song. This means I believe she is going to directly approach the criticism and almost ‘brand’ it as her. It worked for Taylor Swift in the heat of “snakgate”, and it’s honestly a golden technique for situations like this.

If Ariana keeps this theme going for AG7, the TEA is going to be PIPING HOT.

Caroline Surface

Coastal Carolina '25

Caroline is a junior Interactive Journalism Communication major at Coastal Carolina University. She is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and has two cats and one dog. She was on the yearbook team all throughout high school, which is where she found her passion of telling stories through writing.