This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Michelle Obama, the first African-American First Lady of the United States, was born to Fraser and Marian Robinson on the South Side of Chicago, Illinois. She grew up with her brother, Craig, and from the strict education of their parents, both children learned to read by four years of age. Obama was placed in gifted programs through middle school and took accelerated programs in the prestigious Whitney M. Young Magnet High School. After high school, Michelle attended Princeton University, majoring in Sociology and graduating with honors. She went on to study at Harvard Law School and there advocated for equal representation amongst hired faculty and recruited students.

After Harvard, Obama worked in marketing within Chicago’s Sidley Austin’s firm, was elected executive director for the Chicago office of Public Allies, became an associate dean of student services at the University of Chicago and worked at the university’s hospital and medical center as executive director of community relations and external affairs. She was then later elected vice president for community and external affairs at the university’s medical center. She also served as a board member for the Chicago Council on Global Affairs.

While her husband was in office, Michelle proposed plans to ensure the availability of healthy foods as well as the promotion of exercise in schools across the nation through her Let’s Move initiative. Throughout her husband’s term, Obama also worked as an advocate for working women and victims of sexual harassment and assault. After innumerable hours volunteered, competitive leadership positions held, and many lives inspired, Obama creates a livable example of the product of resilience, hard work, and compassion.

English major, army vet, dog mom, etc.