This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Why join Her Campus?

Alright, I could sit here and spit rainbows and butterflies at you and paint it as a frilly, pink, and girly women’s magazine like some may see it as at first glance, or I could tell you the truth. 

It is a women’s magazine, but it’s more than that. It’s an organization of strong and powerful future female leaders who want to change the world through writing. At Her Campus, we don’t just write about how to get your crush to like you like we’re J-14. We write about important topics in a relevant way – through the eyes of young adult women. We have intelligent women writing about current events, politics, national news, and the future. We have insight from a variety of different majors – from political science, to English, to women’s and gender studies, to graphic art and design, to even national intelligence and security and many more. With all of these different perspectives, we come together to inspire through our articles. 

We wrote in real time about the 2020 election and the COVID-19 pandemic – we offered advice for coping with difficult times and projections for the future of America. We stay on top of current events to offer our own perspectives as well as writing to help other people. We have writers covering topics like mental health, substance abuse, abusive relationships, suicide and depression, sexism and feminism, and how to maintain overall well-being in this crazy world. Through these pieces, each and every one of us have impacted someone – whether it was them reading the article and knowing they aren’t alone in their struggles, or them realizing the situation they are in is abusive, or finding mental health resources and coping mechanisms, we all have impact through our pens. Having people tell you that your article had an impact on them personally is one of the most heart-warming things in the entire world.

And of course, we have so. much. fun.  Aside from our articles that touch on sensitive, yet crucial, topics, we have lots of lighthearted ones. We write articles that give playlists as the seasons change, ‘look books’ where we share cute outfits, makeup and hair product reviews, book and movie reviews, and the list goes on. With our lighthearted articles, we make people, and each other, smile. With social media, we have so much fun designing cute graphics to post and keeping up with themes. In non-COVID times, we have events with each other and ones open to the entire college community, like holiday parties, workshops, coffee and conversation events, and much more. 

Her Campus also offers internships! What’s better than making an impact through writing than making an impact while also getting internship credit? Nothing. Literally nothing. And, if writing isn’t for you, Her Campus has plenty of positions to get involved — managing and maintaining social media, graphic design, photography… the list goes on.

At Her Campus, our community is loving and accepting. We are not just an on-campus club or organization that see each other once every two weeks. With Her Campus, genuine friendships are built and genuine connections are made. If you want a family away from your family, a home away from your home, you will find it in your Her Campus girls. If you are inspired by feminism and powerful women, want friendships that will last a lifetime, or want to be published and build your professional portfolio, Her Campus is for you.