This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

When you are a kid you plan your whole life down to how many children you want to have and what you are going to name them. As we get older we forget about the little details in life and go about accomplishing our goals, finding the love of our lives, and finishing school. We don’t really think about starting a family until we are finished with our degrees and set in our careers. What most people do not realize is that when it comes time to start a family and what we do while we are in college has a direct impact on our fertility. 

Some of the most common causes of infertility among young women are:

• Smoking

• Excessive Drinking

• Stress

• STD’s

• Too much athletic training

All of these are things that college students should be aware of. Athletes who plan on having children should be cautious of how much training they are doing and how it can impact their future. As a college student, one of the most popular ways to unwind after a stressful week is through a night of partying and drinking. Smoking and drinking both cause infertility in some cases, as well as stress. What you are doing right now can impact your future so when it comes to being safe, make sure you are taking the necessary precautions. This also applies to sex because certain STD’s, especially if left untreated, can cause infertility. 

Infertility can be diagnosed while you are a young adult through bloodwork and most times an internal ultrasound when you visit your OB/GYN. The most important thing that you can do is answer their questions as honestly as you are able to. When it comes to your diagnosis the tiniest detail can make the biggest difference. There are certain birth control methods that can stimulate cyst growth and there are others that can cause side effects, like weight gain and mood changes. If you already have a pre-existing condition that causes these symptoms there may be an alternative method to combating your condition, so talking with your doctor is imperative to find the method that works best for you.

It’s also important to remember that you are not alone and there are people there to help you and support you no matter what you are going through. 

Michelle Boyette

Coastal Carolina '22

Michelle is a student studying public health, psychology, and creative writing. She is hoping that through her writing she will spark joy and change in a world that is desperately in need of both.