“Why Depression and Mental Health Awareness is So Important”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

TW: Depression/Mental health/Suicide 

Depression and mental health awareness is extremely important for millions around the world. October is dedicated to depression and mental health awareness and it helps to educate those on their misunderstood conditions. It is one of the most stigmatized health issues and the only way to fix that is by educating others to understand what depression is/looks like and what we can do to overcome it. “Depression is the leading cause of disability globally and roughly 1 in 4 people will be affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives.” (https://www.instagram.com/p/CUfHdU8rZT1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Depression has no single cause and can occur for several different reasons, but it is an illness seen in millions today. Especially in today’s world, mental health is destroying people’s lives. So many things can lead to a “damaged” mindset that ends up being the pinpoint for mental illnesses. For example: social media, expectations in school/college, bullying/cyber bullying, trauma, all of these things can assist in the spiral for exposure to mental health disorders. The idea around the fact that this issue and this conversation is only being destigmatized now because of the shame people had is so heartbreaking; but the conversation can only grow and only get louder from here.

Depression and Mental Awareness Month has the sole purpose of informing and educating people that they’re wrong. There is always someone or something that will help you submerge out of that dark place. And depression is not the only mental health disorder that can be helped, understood, or treated. There is an exponential number of different mental health challenges that can be diagnosed and there is a solution/treatment for all, no matter how drastic or how small.

Personally, I knew I had a fairly aggressive case of anxiety and depression, but I didn’t know how to deal with it. “Due to the stigma surrounding mental health, many people hide their depression by “masking it” […] some are able to present themselves as “normal” while internally suffering.” (https://www.instagram.com/p/CUfHdU8rZT1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link) And that is exactly what I did. When I first realized that my symptoms were worsening, I was hitting a wall and digging a bigger and bigger hole for myself. Deep down, I knew if I kept going down this path, maybe I’d never be able to get better. So, I took the first step.

I am living proof that there is a way out of that hole. Looking inside yourself and realizing that you need help is the first step. It’s terrifying, but in the end, that’ll be your saving grace. It’s okay to admit that you struggle with mental health. It’s okay to talk to someone about it because in the end, everyone has their fair share of dark places inside their minds, and there are people trained to assist you in your journey of conquering that disorder.

Not only are you helping yourself by growing that strength to get help, but you are increasing the awareness of depression and mental health. That is why October is dedicated to bringing awareness to the necessity for affordable and accessible mental health screenings. It is extremely important to take that step in seeking out one who was trained to help you with your disorder so you can be screened. Depression has a higher success rate in being treated than you may think and there are several different ways available but, seeing a professional will give you the best course of action. Coming from someone who has had their fair share of mental health issues, here I am, writing an article about depression and mental health awareness, hoping to reach even just one person so they know they aren’t alone. Mental health is a daunting topic, especially if it is something you are struggling with, but there is always a solution, there is always a treatment, and no matter how empty you may feel, you are never alone. You are loved. And you matter.

Camryn Lapp

Coastal Carolina '23

Camryn Lapp came from New Jersey to Coastal Carolina University as a Hospitality, Resort, and Tourism Management major. She is currently a senior at the University. Camryn came onboard to HerCampus in the Fall of 2021 as a writer, and is now on the Executive Board as the Head of Event Planning!