This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

August of 2021 has left a historical impact regarding women’s rights as Kathleen Hochul becomes the first female governor of New York state. Former Lieutenant Governor Hochul replaced former Governor Andrew Cuomo, who resigned after facing 11 sexual misconduct allegations, including non-consensual touching and groping. Gov. Hochul has been in office since 2015 and served as Cuomo’s running mate during the election. Hochul was officially sworn in on August 24 during a private ceremony. 

Kathy Hochul was born on Aug. 27, 1958, in Buffalo, New York; she currently resides in Buffalo to this day, with her husband and two children. Hochul entered politics with education from Syracuse University and the Catholic University, where she received her Bachelor’s Degree in political science. Her time at Catholic University sparked political advocacy within her, starting from when she protested high prices at the student bookstore. Hochul’s demonstrations and work at internships caught the eye of many Democratic leaders. She was soon elected town supervisor in Hamburg, New York in 1994 and kept the position until her resignation in 2007. Just four years later, she ran for the open seat in New York’s 26th congressional district, where she was met with competition from Conservative nominee, Jane Corwin; Hochul ultimately won 47% to Corwin’s 43%. She served in the House of Representatives until 2013 (Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul).

Ever since she has been politically active in her college years, Hochul has been a proud Democrat candidate. She calls on and specializes in some topics, including fighting for working families, women’s rights, LGBTQ+ rights, and immigration workers. Hochul’s commitment to her local community is present when considering the activities she is involved in. Hochul is a founder and board member of the Kathleen Mary House, which provides safety and shelter for women and children who are facing domestic violence in Buffalo, New York. Other things Hochul has fought for include the Affordable Care Act, including social security and Medicare (Governor Kathy Hochul Kathy is dedicated to public service). She has been endorsed by the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws, which Hochul proudly fights for, considering her efforts to protect abortion rights. Other acts she has advocated for include the Student Non-Discrimination Act, the Equal Rights Amendment, and Paid Family Leave. In 2011, however, Hochul was backed by the National Rifle Association. Since then, Hochul has somewhat shifted her perspective on gun control, and now supports New York’s Red Flag law, which specifically prevents dangerous people from buying guns (Kathy Hochul: A look back at her policy history)

Since finding out about Gov. Cuomo’s resignation, Hochul has been determined to lead New York state like never before. In her first statement as governor, she has made it clear that she will do a more efficient job than her predecessor, as she mainly focuses on Covid-19 relief funds for families in New York by delaying evictions. Although controversial during this time, Hochul is also looking into mandating the Covid-19 vaccine for educators, as well as weekly testing, and booster shots for fully vaccinated individuals (https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/24/politics/kathy-hochul-new-york-governor-speech/index.html). Many are relieved to have a female governor in office who is promising and willing to get the job done. 

Madison Sharrock

Coastal Carolina '25

Hey there! I'm Madison Sharrock and I am a freshman here at Coastal Carolina University. I am a Communication major with a focus on Interactive Journalism, along with a minor in Political Science. I plan to go into the broadcast journalism field to become a news anchor one day.