Screen Shot 2020 03 14 at 14728 PM?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Screen Shot 2020 03 14 at 14728 PM?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Madeleine Bokan

Where to Bring Your Family This Family Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

You want to go out this weekend, right? But it’s family weekend so you have to stay in with your parents. You may think that sucks, but take it from an out of state student, any time you can spend with your family while in college should be valued. To help you enjoy the weekend, I have put together a list of some of my favorite places to take my parents and siblings for family weekend.

The must do: Saturday night Football. Come to Brooks Stadium for the football game to watch the Chants take on Georgia State in the first night game of the season. Earlier during the day you can join the fraternity tailgates or the family tailgate at the Wall Horseshoe where students and families will be given food and fan gear all while playing fun games, such as corn hole. This is also an opportunity to meet faculty and administration members who make an effort to stop by this annual event.

If you are looking for something to do after the football game, hop on over to 810 Billiards & Bowling conveniently located right across campus. Part typical college night-life bar and part family friendly bowling alley, this is the perfect place to bring your family so everyone can get a taste of college life while still keeping the fun “PG” for parents and younger siblings.

Any weekend trip would be incomplete without some shopping. One major tourist attraction is Broadway at the Beach. This shopping location is known for its plethora of other entertainment facilities including Ripley’s Aquarium and the WonderWorks House. For a quieter pace, visit Market Commons, which is just like any other outdoor strip mall with the added enjoyment of palm trees and ocean air, or Barefoot Landing, a more upscale community hangout place with various name brand stores and gourmet restaurants. 

Of course, being on a campus located so closely to Myrtle Beach, I encourage all families to make a legendary beach trip. The Myrtle Beach Strip is the perfect place for tourists looking for bustling night-life and some unhealthy treats. Just as enjoyable is SurfSide Beach, a more family friendly destination with plenty of water sports and ice cream spots nearby.

If you wish to stay a bit more local, travel into downtown Conway for the Waccamaw River Walk. Last year for family weekend, the walk was still in ruins from Hurricane Florence, but this year it is just as beautiful as ever. This is the perfect spot to enjoy what limited time you have with family and just relax in nature. It is also the best place to go to appreciate the small southern town we now live in.

As a perfect conclusion to family weekend, Dr.DeCenzo hosts the President’s drop-in breakfast. Come out for an all-you-can eat buffet on Sunday morning for a chance to chat with the University’s president, Dr. DeCenzo, and his wife Mrs. Terri DeCenzo. Located in the West Suit of Brooks Stadium, you can eat with a perfect view overlooking the teal turf.

Holly McGrath

Coastal Carolina '22

Holly McGrath is attending Coastal Carolina University as a double major in Intelligence & National Security Studies and Psychology with a pre-law minor. Originally from Connecticut, she is a Boston sports loving, snow hating, Dunkin' drinking New Englander. As a student-athlete on the Dance Team she always has her Chants up! When not on campus you can find her at the outlets or by the pool.