This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Pumpkin spice, colder weather, bonfires, costumes and discounted candy all give meaning to spooky season. However, the best way to get into the Halloween spirit is by watching movies. From classic horror to childhood Disney favorites, Halloween movies are a huge influence on the season itself.  

Here is a list of my Top Favorite Spooky/Halloween Films! 

-Fright Night (1985) 

An underrated classic vampire film with just enough comedy to ease the tension! A horror theme obsessed teen becomes convinced that his new neighbor is a vampire, and when proven right, no one believes him, until it’s possibly too late.  

Rated: R 

Scream (1996) 

Wes Craven is the king of horror and this slasher film is the gateway to get into that Halloween spirit. High school students are frightened when their classmates end up dead by a masked-knife killer. Mixes of comedy and scare factor, Scream (and it’s following films) will have you trying to piece together the ‘who dunnit’?  

Rated: R 

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) 

Another Wes Craven classic, this film will have you terrified. Freddy Krueger, a burned man haunts people in their dreams, driving them to their deaths. Don’t doubt, this movie will keep you on the edge of your seat. Filled with gruesome horror, a mix of romance and friendships (Johnny Depp plays the great bad-boy role too) Nightmare on Elm Street is the ultimate scary movie.  

Rated: R 

Donnie Darko (2001) 

For my psychological thriller fans, this film will give you chills, making you think deeper. This story is of a teen boy who escapes death and starts receiving messages about the future from a demonic rabbit figure. This chilling movie will leave you questioning supernatural forces. 

Rated: R 

Practical Magic (1998) 

If you love witches, you’ll enjoy this! A modern twist on the witch theme, 2 young girls grow up together, understanding their special gifts. Through love, friendship, a bit of magic this movie is an instant favorite. 

Rated: PG-13 

Beetlejuice (1988) 

In this Tim Burton film, the spirits of a recently deceased couple are harassed by an annoying family that has just moved into their home, hiring a crazed evil spirit (by saying his name 3 times) to drive them away. There are some hidden adult innuendoes for the rating however, it’s perfect for a family night if you have younger siblings. 

Rated: PG 

Corpse Bride (2005) 

Another classic Tim Burton film, considerably underrated. This movie tells the tale of an arranged marriage, and a woman killed on her wedding night. With a great soundtrack, a love triangle, and comedy, this stop-motion animated film redefines gothic romance perfect for spooky season. 

Rated: PG 

Hocus Pocus (1993) 

I put a spell on you! This Disney favorite with hints of adult humor, is perfect for every age during Halloween! I still watch this each year to get me in the Halloween spirit. Three women burned in Salem for witchcraft, come back to life in the modern world when a virgin, lights a mysterious candle.  

Rated: PG 

Twitches (2005) 

Twin Witches! Go twitches, go twitches. This Disney Original Film is by far one of my childhood favorites. Twins separated at birth from a ‘far away land’ enter the modern world, accidentally running into each other, discovering their gifts, family history and the evil that tore them apart. Perfect for a girl’s night in! 

Rated: PG 

Sophia Edens

Coastal Carolina '22

PLEASE VISIT: thecontentfoodcritic.com In her role as a senior student attending Coastal Carolina University, Sophia’s area of expertise lies in her English degree with a concentration in Composition, Rhetoric and Linguistics and a minor in Communication. Sophia is an energetic, motivated and experienced hospitality professional. Easily adaptable with leadership qualities. Customer service and hospitality roles served for growth in collaborative problem solving, public speaking and critical thinking. As a soon to be graduate with an English degree, residing in South Carolina, she hopes to use the skills that she has learned through various positions to provide as an asset to any team she joins.