This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Aries (Ram): March 21–April 19 Townie

Aries is known to be fiery and hard-headed. As a fire sign, you need a lot of fuel. “Townie” confronts emotions of suburban malaise, of boredom with the status quo. You might be disappointing your dad, but you’re on a quest for self-fulfillment. The song is all about taking the next step, something your zodiac is well-suited for. Patience may not be your virtue, but you can energize any plan you choose to set in motion. Once you’ve exhausted all your options, you may begin to make reckless decisions, so keep your sister sign on speed-dial! 

Taurus (Bull): April 20–May 20 I Will

Taurus’ stereotypical trait is stubbornness. Digging your heels in and refusing to move, planting your feet and growing roots. Mitski sings of seeing another person at their worst, of caring for them and putting immense effort into staying with them. For a Taurus, it can be difficult to move on from a relationship you’ve poured your heart and soul into, or any other endeavors they’d spent time on. Your unconditional acceptance and willingness to care for your friends is a comfort to them. Remember that you are worthy of people who reciprocate that energy!

Gemini (Twins): May 21–June 21 Why didn’t you stop me

Gemini’s get a bad rep for their dual nature, and how quickly they can switch up on you. This song echoes that energy perfectly. The pattern of the solo piano, electronic and slightly grating, beings to build with more instruments until the noise becomes overwhelming. As a fellow air sign, this has often been my experience with Geminis. A fully realized Gemini does not look for their twin outside themselves. You may be good at manipulation, but people are not puppets. They are not your impulse control and are not responsible for your decisions. Mitski inhabits this attitude, wondering why the person she’s become so dependent on has left her. Show your relationships you have a gentle side and stop hurting people you want to be close to.

Cancer (Crab): June 22–July 22 Pearl Diver

You feel too much and are often stereotyped as the crybabies of the zodiac. That reeks of misogyny! You are a water sign! Your body’s water must be allowed to flow. Crying to “Pearl Diver” is perfectly valid. Your inner ocean has the answers if you’ll take the time to seek them out. Your own treasure comes from self-acceptance of your sensitivity, whether you cry often or not at all. Feel your feelings as they ebb and flow. Stagnation comes when you reject self-exploration. 

Leo (Lion): July 23–August 22 Abbey

Mitski often sings of feeling empty, like she can’t consume enough of the world, or people, or the world through other people. Leo, you and Aries are more similar than you think. Don’t give in to the urge to set fire to things that aren’t working. Don’t eat after 10 PM. You are so ambitious, and with your driven nature, you can remake the world in your image. However, remember to conserve some of your energy. You teeter over the edge of burnout. Take care of your body in the ways it asks you. Implement discipline into your lifestyle. Finding your happy medium will satisfy you in the long term.

Virgo (Virgin): August 23–September 22 Fireworks

You’re too practical to ignore your own faults, and you often see through others faster than they’d like. You keep people on their toes. Mitski sings of being stuck in the past, of sorrowful vignettes. Movement comes easily to you as an air sign, but uprooting yourself can be painful. Confront pain head-on. You already know the answer. Listen more and talk less, and maybe you’ll be able to hear the fireworks a little better! You have a keen sense of intuition, but you need to use it more for yourself. It’s a gift, but be a little more selfish with it.

Libra (Balance): September 23–October 23 Me and My Husband 

Libras are meant to be balanced, but often they are vacillating between equilibrium and total chaos. Sure, you’re popular, but you can’t become everyone you meet. You’re a deep thinker, and are all too comfortable with Mitski’s lyrics of your life counting down to its inevitable end. Using another person as a coping mechanism for imposter syndrome won’t work forever. Finding comfort mutually will feel rewarding, and is far healthier for you both. Now that the retrograde is over and the planets are turning in the right direction, set yourself up for success. Stack your hand with kindness and lay all your cards on the table. Whether or not people take notice is irrelevant. Center yourself and find peace there.

Scorpius (Scorpion): October 24–November 21 Liquid Smooth

You are so gorgeous! Scorpios always have the most layered and interesting energy. I feel like you all got the memo on how to radiate mystery and intrigue effortlessly. This is such a classic Mitski song, and we both know you know every word. You’ve met too many people who latched onto your light. Protect yourself from other people’s negative energy and make your walls insular. Other people are not for retreating into. Rest in the shade before you go back out into the sun. It’s okay to miss a self-care day but keep a score of what you’re owed and set aside time for yourself.

Sagittarius (Archer): November 22–December 21 Brand New City

Usually, loud music is all you need to feel better. You do best in unfamiliar situations and maintain your composure during group projects. Mitski plays the role of a partygoer in need, and a Sagittarius is there to help her, checklist in hand. Your natural grace puts others at ease. At the same time, you can be very intense. Your friends would describe you as serious, but a little focus never hurt anyone! Use it to your advantage! Keep your eye on the prize and girlboss your way to new heights!

Capricornus (Goat): December 22–January 19 Remember My Name

Mitski recently said in an interview with Dazed that she would eventually like to retreat from the public eye, as she is an introvert who greatly values silence. You both grapple with wanting recognition from others, wanting to find validation externally. Don’t lose sight of friends who support you regardless of the gains you make. Restrict the amount of hustle culture propaganda you consume. Being a workaholic is not cute and neither is not going to bed til late. Hot girls have bedtimes. You are already creating your own heaven on earth, so seek happiness.

Aquarius (Water Bearer): January 20–February 18 A Burning Hill

As the water sign, you’re known to put out fires, being the firefighter for everyone. Don’t ignore your own “fires”! Your optimism is a salve for your burns. The song is simple, lyrically, and musically. Relax into the little things and recharge. It’s okay to strive for mediocrity, to carve out a comfortable place. You can’t be running all the time. Emotional detachment is your enemy, so building a space that can ground you will yield you a greater sense of harmony. Doing the minimum is more than enough on hard days. Look at the glass as half-full, but save some for later. Invest in a candle or perfume that you can attach to positive memories.

Pisces (Fish): February 19–March 20 Because Dreaming Costs Money, My Dear

You’ve always been told that your dreams are too expensive, too impossible, too hard to achieve. Decipher the difference between an aspiration and a dream. You have trouble making progress towards them because you are so averse to the concrete. Mitski is the voice of self-doubt that wants to talk at 2 AM. Honing an artistic skill and trying to live off of it is hard to let go of, so decide what you really want. Concert halls and stages can be appealing, but it’s up to you. Being artistic and being an artist is a distinction you have to live with. Don’t punish yourself if you don’t live up to an imaginary version of yourself. Have a conversation with your Virgo bestie and reset.

Carissa Soukup

Coastal Carolina '23

Carissa Soukup is an English major with a minor in Communications. Her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and brushing her cat. Her goal is to work in the publishing industry. She dreams of eventually living in a log cabin with several more cats after traveling the world.