The Music Hits Center Stage Once Again at the Annual Grammys!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

We have made it to another year of the Grammys! There were outstanding outfits, incredible performances, and not a single ounce of violence! It was such a refreshing time to see artists come together and celebrate their accomplishments in the music industry. I think what we want to talk about is who won which award at the award show? Well. lucky for you, I am going to bring forth some winners and the category they won. So, grab some popcorn because we are going on a musical ride!

Jon Batiste 

Jon Batiste swept the Grammys with five wins in one night! His soulful and funky sound paired with the depths of his words are truly a work of art. He tackles his feelings and thoughts on paper and uses his voice and instruments to give listeners a chance to hear his story. So, against many other strong albums, Batiste won Album of the Year for his album We Are! In his speech, he mentions that he writes music on a spiritual level and that it is way more than just entertainment. He encourages others to be themselves and performed his hit song FREEDOM! His awards include:

Album of the Year, Best American Roots Performance, Best American Roots Song for FREEDOM, Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media, and Best Music Video for FREEDOM.

Olivia Rodrigo

I think we all knew that Olivia would get some awards this year. After breaking the internet (and maybe my eardrums) with her debut album, Sour, Rodrigo’s songs have been everywhere! With her edgy pop tunes and emotional ballads, it was easy to resonate with her and her situations. Olivia performed her iconic song, driver’s license, and took home the Best New Artist award along with two others. She told the audience that this was a dream come true during her speech and even started to cry during it. Still, she is young and incredible at songwriting so, there may be a second album in our future! Her awards include:

Best New Artist, Best Pop Vocal Album, and Best Pop Solo Performance for driver’s license.

Silk Sonic

The groovy group, led by Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak really blew the Grammys away by winning four awards! Their mixture of soul, R&B, and pop, really spoke to various listeners from around the world. This combination has to be the best so far! It is really astonishing to see this group blossom with new sounds while paying homage to the past. Doing this with the music and their words is what gave them the chance to win Record and Song of the Year! I think this is just the beginning of Silk Sonic and I can’t wait to hear more from them! Their awards include:

Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best R&B Performance (tied with Jazmine Sullivan), and Best R&B Song.

Some honorable mentions were the Foo Fighters (winning three awards), Jazmine Sullivan (winning two awards), and various others. The Grammys was, once again, a night full of glamor and fun for musical artists around the world. There were epic performances by Lil Nas X, Billie Eilish, and J. Balvin! It was a wonderful time and I can’t wait to see the outcome next year!

Dyneira Brown

Coastal Carolina '23

Dyneira is a Broadcast Journalism Communication Major with a Minor in Marketing at Coastal Carolina University. She is a Peer Leader, Research Fellow, and is on the Student Advisory Committee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion! She is a captain of the Chanticleer Regiment Marching Band. Dyneira loves Marvel movies/shows and aspires to have a career in the media field!