This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

This article is for all the Type A girlies out there. I feel like I used to be one of you. I had everything planned out and anything last-minute stressed me out. Being Type A can benefit you in a lot of ways. Lots of Type A people do amazing in school and are better at planning events. Although, being Type A can be a major stressor as you don’t leave room for last-minute plans.

I remember a guy in my fall semester class of my freshman year. When asked what his biggest piece of advice for people would be, he said that he would tell people to set aside time for spontaneous plans. Setting aside time and spontaneity may not seem to go together, but they do. In order to be spontaneous, you have to have the time to do so. When you design your schedule so that you have several hours of time that are up for grabs, you can be spontaneous and make last-minute plans! Here are some reasons why being impulsive is actually good for you.

1. Adds Some Spice to Life

When people say to “live life to the fullest ” I really don’t think they meant to have every single thing planned out. Most of the time, the things I don’t plan for are the events I remember the best and have the most fun at. For example, a lot of concerts I have been to, tattoos I have gotten, and trips I have gone on have been sort of impulsive. Now, this may not be a good idea for everyone. But, sometimes I feel as if you are never going to do something unless you jump right into it. 

1. Discover New Places

In my schedule, I leave extra time on Mondays and Wednesdays. Because of that extra time, I am able to take day trips and discover new places in my own backyard that I was never aware of. If it wasn’t for that extra time, I would’ve been too busy to stop and notice all the new things I know now.

1. Lowers Stress Levels

Meticulously designing plans can be so time-consuming. Being impulsive allows you to take the stress out of potential plans and focus on the moment. For example, I leave a good majority of my nights after work free. Usually on these nights, I end up hanging out with friends or spending time with people I love. I keep my stress levels low by hanging out with loved ones. Although, if I meticulously planned every hour, many of those opportunities may never have fallen into my lap. 

1. Freedom

As I said above, being impulsive has given me a new-found feeling of freedom. Randomly deciding on a day off to do something for myself has let me discover a new zest for life! Whether you want to dye your hair, get a tattoo, or just visit a new coffee shop in your town, impulsivity is what has allowed me to do what I always said I would do. 

Caroline Surface

Coastal Carolina '25

Caroline is a junior Interactive Journalism Communication major at Coastal Carolina University. She is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and has two cats and one dog. She was on the yearbook team all throughout high school, which is where she found her passion of telling stories through writing.