This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Perhaps the biggest influences on climate change are giant corporations. One initiative we can take to be more environmentally conscious with our retail purchases is to support sustainable companies who put greater efforts into protecting our environment. When thrifting and buying second hand isn’t an option, there are tons of businesses that are now trying to limit waste and create products that are new, but are not harmful to the environment.

1. Parade 

Parade is an underwear brand and their products are made using recycled fabric and is shipped with compostable packaging made from corn starch. They use sustainable recycled yarns to save energy and water waste. They also balance their emissions from production and distribution by funding carbon offset projects. By doing this they achieve a net zero impact of emissions. A percentage of their profits made always goes to a cause, it has previously been planned parenthood.

2. Native 

Native is a brand that makes deodorant, among other products like body wash and toothpaste. Their deodorant is aluminum and paraben free, but most importantly cruelty free and only tested on human volunteers. The most impressive thing about this company is that they have plastic free deodorant. It is made out of paperboard and switching to their plastic free option could reduce your plastic waste by up to 169 tons each year. They are taking the initiative to try to have plastic free options for all of their products by the year 2023. They also donate 1% of your purchase to environmental nonprofits.

3. MUD Jeans 

This company makes high quality jeans using sustainable materials including recycled cotton. The dyes used are non-toxic and low impact. The environmentally friendly material limits the amount of water wasted and chemicals used in production. The price is a little on the heavier side, but their prices reflect how they ensure employees are paid a livable wage. If you don’t have the budget to buy the jeans they offer the option to lease a pair for $10 a month. This is a fun way to switch up your wardrobe more frequently without contributing to fast fashion and waste.

4. Girlfriend Collective 

This company is an athletic-wear brand that makes pieces out of recycled materials. This is a sustainable alternative to Lululemon. They make sure that water waste is discharged properly and they reuse some of the remnants of fabrics to minimize their waste. They also have an inclusive size range, ranging from XXS to 6XL. When you are finished wearing their items you can recycle them with their feature “Regirlfriend.”

Brittney Plusnick

Coastal Carolina '23

Brittney Plusnick is an undergraduate student at Coastal Carolina University, majoring in English. In her free time she enjoys writing, traveling, and spending time by the ocean.