Anna Schultz-Denim Jacket With Patches And Milkshake
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Southern Restaurants That Should Head Up North

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

So just like how there are certain fast-food restaurants that are missing down South, there are certain places missing up North. There is nothing like these restaurants up North and I think that it’s a problem. Having Cook-out would be great for when you aren’t in the mood for diner food or the diner is (shockingly) closed because its 3am. Waffle House in the Northern states would be amazing during a blizzard; being able to count on a restaurant to be open and serving up breakfast food. What’s better than that?

• Cook-out

• Burgers, a shake or soda, fries, and onion rings for a little over $5. It’s open as late as 5am in some locations. It’s hard to beat it. My typical order is a Jr. Cheeseburger Plate with french fries, onion rings, an unsweet tea, and a cappuccino milkshake. Sometimes instead of getting onion rings, I get the honey mustard chicken wrap. 

• Bojangles

• Cajun-style chicken and sides served alongside their famous sweet tea, it seems like the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. Southern sides and warm biscuits complete each meal. 

• MOD

• MOD Pizza prides itself on being quick and easy pizza. You are able to pick what kind of toppings you want on your pizza or if you want a salad pizza. A salad pizza is basically a flatbread baked with asiago and your salad is put on top after the cheese is crispy. 

• Zaxby’s 

• Zaxby’s was made for the Gemini. I suffer from the inability to decide between whether I want two things that are similar constantly. The fact that Zaxby’s has a meal that includes both chicken wings AND chicken tenders is a lifesaver for me. Now I don’t have to pick because I am able to get both and not feel guilty about ordering enough food for two people. 

• Brusters

• In my opinion, Baskin Robbins isn’t that good. Brusters, on the other hand, is. Not only do they have a multitude of flavors, but they also have a rotating menu of flavors. They always have the classics like chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, but they also rotate other flavors like pumpkin cheesecake or eggnog. As well as non-seasonal flavors like different variations of double chocolate fudge and coffee ice creams. 

• Captain D’s

• Sure, everyone’s heard of Long John Silvers but this is different. There are more choices and the food is much tastier. Their sides are southern classics like fried okra and, like any place that serves seafood, hushpuppies are a must. 

• Waffle House

• If you don’t know what Waffle House is, you must live under a rock. Waffle House is in pretty much every John Green Novel as well as most teen movies. The iconic scene in Love, Simon where the group of friends is rehearsing for their play takes place at Waffle House late at night. That’s the joy of Waffle House. It is open 24/7 and doesn’t close even during storms. When Waffle Houses closes you know that you need to rush out to buy your non-perishables and start boarding up your home because something big is coming.
Michelle Boyette

Coastal Carolina '22

Michelle is a student studying public health, psychology, and creative writing. She is hoping that through her writing she will spark joy and change in a world that is desperately in need of both.