books on a bookshelf
books on a bookshelf
Tasha Young
Wellness > Mental Health

Six Books That Bring Awareness To Life With Mental Health Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

• Every Last Word – Tamara Ireland Stone

• Second-guessing every move, thought, and word makes daily life a struggle, and it doesn’t help that her lifelong friends will turn toxic at the first sign of a wrong outfit, wrong lunch, or wrong crush. Yet Sam knows she’d be truly crazy to leave the protection of the most popular girls in school. So when Sam meets Caroline, she has to keep her new friend with a refreshing sense of humor and no style a secret, right up there with Sam’s weekly visits to her psychiatrist.

• Suicide Notes – Michael Thomas Ford

• Fifteen-year-old Jeff wakes up on New Year’s Day to find himself in the hospital. Make that the psychiatric ward. With the nutjobs. Clearly, this is all a huge mistake. Forget about the bandages on his wrists and the notes on his chart. Forget about his problems with his best friend, Allie, and her boyfriend, Burke. Jeff’s perfectly fine, perfectly normal, not like the other kids in the hospital with him. Now they’ve got problems. But a funny thing happens as his forty-five-day sentence drags on: the crazies start to seem less crazy.

• Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell

• For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

• Will Grayson, Will Grayson – John Green

• Will Grayson meets Will Grayson. One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers are about to cross paths. From that moment on, their world will collide and lives intertwine.

• Eleanor & Park – Rainbow Rowell

• Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

• The Program Series (The Program, The Treatment, The Remedy, etc.) – Suzanne Young

• Depression is an epidemic. Anyone who cries is at risk of being sent away. To “The Program”. Sloane knows that she can’t show sadness or express any emotions of reaction after witnessing her brother’s suicide. If she does, she will surely be sent to away.

All Descriptions (Except The Program) Are From Good Reads

Michelle Boyette

Coastal Carolina '22

Michelle is a student studying public health, psychology, and creative writing. She is hoping that through her writing she will spark joy and change in a world that is desperately in need of both.