This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Throughout the years the media has seen some powerful messages that are shown through fashion. A platform for activists, celebrities, and anyone with a passion- fashion can showcase political views whether it revolves around a specific issue or an individual in the political world.

From a distance, a bright red hat will catch the attention of passersby who will squint to see whether or not “Make America Great Again” is printed on the front. Since 2015, the MAGA hat has used to show candidate support for Donald Trump and definitely has an impact on the way the world views red hats. Celebrities, such as Kanye West, have been pictured wearing the accessory as well as performing in it affirming their support for Trump.

During the 2019 State of the Union address, a prominent political fashion statement was made. To pay tribute to the women before them and illustrate the lessening gender divide in the chamber. White has been a symbol in the women’s suffrage movement since the 20th century, and wearing the color in solidarity is an effective technique to catch the media’s attention and celebrate women.

Another more recent fashion statement to declare presidential approval is singer Joy Villa’s dress that was on display on the red carpet at the 2019 Grammys awards show. The familiar “Make America Great Again” campaign slogan on the front of the dress and name “TRUMP” bedazzled on the back certainly made for a clear message of where her loyalty in politics lay.

On the other side of the political spectrum, Katy Perry sported a white pantsuit as a salute to Hilary Clinton at The Grammys. Her statement piece was accompanied by an armband that read “PERSIST” in bright red letters. Notorious for her choice of outfit- Hilary Clinton 2016 presidential runner up could often be seen wearing pantsuits because they make her feel powerful and professional.

To show support for women at the Grammys, Skylar Grey’s accessory of choice, a light- up clutch, flashed messages of “equality” and “empowerment”. A powerful move described by Grey as her “women’s march”.

Straying away from celebs in the music industry, former NFL player Colin Kaepernick had strong political intentions when choosing not to stand for the national anthem in 2016. In 2018 Kaepernick signed with the popular sports brand Nike eliciting many mixed emotions, some boycotting and going as far as burning their Nike clothing in disapproval for supporting Kaepernick. Whether you agree with his message regarding police brutality and racial inequality, choosing whether or not to buy Nike fashion can be translated to a political statement itself.

Other instances of activism through fashion include brands such as Sandcloud and Wholesome Culture. The mission of these companies is to support individual issues such as marine conservation and a plant-based lifestyle to save the planet. Proceeds go to different organizations that support these issues. Often times, movements such as Black Lives Matter will sell clothing to promote and support their agenda as well.

Maddie attends Coastal Carolina University where she is planning on majoring in political science with a double minor in marketing and global studies. She wants to travel the world- and when shes not napping shes watching Tedtalks.
Olivia Burke

Coastal Carolina '19

Olivia Burke is a college student, freelance writer, and campus correspondent at Coastal Carolina University. She has written about everything from Valentine's Day to political candidates. When she isn't studying or working on a new article, she is either eating fresh hibachi or catching up on This Is Us on Hulu.