Netflix Shows for When You Don’t Want to be Invested

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

I am a total Netflix addict. Anytime I have downtime or I am looking for a way to pass a few hours, I pull out my laptop or iPhone and binge whatever show I’m currently watching. However, sometimes I just don’t feel like getting caught up in a dramatic or emotionally involved show and want something fun and comedic to pass some of my time without feeling too invested. Below is a list of some of the best shows I have been able to find for this kind of comedic relaxation with a brief synopsis. Happy Netflixing!

1. F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

F.R.I.E.N.D.S is a show focused around the lives of a group of friends live in New York. This group of friends are the best friend kind and intermingle with each other.  Some even end up in romantic relationships together. There is drama, sadness, love, and loss, but this show is mostly lighthearted with a lot of humor and comedy.

2. New Girl

This show is a little wonky and reminds me a bit of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. It has the same theme of a group of friends living together and experiencing life together, but in this show, the main character, Jess, gets dumped and moves in with a random group of guys. Although this show has its twists and turns along with plots that are anything but ordinary, it is still a show you could play as background noise or watch while doing homework because it does not have a plot that is complicated to keep up with.

3. Young & Hungry

Young & Hungry is one of my personal favorites. As a college student, this show is one that I can connect with because both girls are pursuing their dreams and trying to live the lives they want, but they are young and inexperienced. Although they struggle to afford things and reach their goals, they always pull through in the end and the show makes for a lot of good laughs.

4. That 70s Show

That 70s Show is another show focused around a group of friends facing the hardships of growing up. Set in the 70s, a group of teenagers in Wisconsin ‘hang out’ in a basement, listen to music, and face life together. This show is another great source of comedic relief and based around a group of close-knit friends much like other comedies.

5. Fuller House

A spinoff of the original Full House, this show has become a hit on Netflix. The show creates a new version of the show we all know and love from several years ago. The kids we loved on Full House are all grown up and we watch them take on familiar roles as they raise their own kids. This show is just as funny as the original, but also includes some touching moments and a reminiscent feeling when thinking about the older version.

Lily Bryant

Coastal Carolina '21

Lily Bryant is an English major at Coastal Carolina University with minors in Women's and Gender Studies and Marketing. In her free time she loves to read, write, sing, and do pretty much anything artsy. Her goals in life are to inspire others, create good change, and be a successful author. View her work here at Her Campus or on her personal blog at lilyabryant.com.
Olivia Burke

Coastal Carolina '19

Olivia Burke is a college student, freelance writer, and campus correspondent at Coastal Carolina University. She has written about everything from Valentine's Day to political candidates. When she isn't studying or working on a new article, she is either eating fresh hibachi or catching up on This Is Us on Hulu.