This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

It’s Black History Month, and perhaps the best way to celebrate is by showing appreciation to our Black community. For every person of color, life is full of racial barriers. Owning and operating a business is no different. Why is it so important to support Black businesses specifically? According to Score.org, African-American small businesses are less likely to be approved for financing and face obstacles like high interest rates, and small loan amounts. It was also mentioned that 33% of average small business owners run their business by themselves, for African-American small business owners it’s 47%. The following are some Black-owned small businesses in Horry County that you might find useful.

1. Fair Fashions and Formal Wear: Prom? Wedding? Sorority formal or social? Charlene is here for you. This is a local dress shop located in downtown Conway, South Carolina. I speak from personal experience when I say she has an amazing selection of dresses and the service is unbelievably great. Everytime I walk into the shop I’m greeted with a bright smile. 

Business website: Fair Fashions And Formal Wear | Fashions and Formal wear for all occasions

1. Hidden Jewel Wellness Boutique:  This business offers many unique services for women. Their mission is to “help women connect to their divine feminine energy”. They have services such as womb work, yoni steams, and a large selection of products you can purchase such as herbal teas, oils, creams and soaps. (p.s. They have shipping too!)

Business site: HOME | HJWB (hiddenjewelboutique.com)

1. Borden Mobile Mechanics: Ever panicked because your oil light made an appearance while you were away at school? Mr. Borden is here for you. Melvin Borden is a mobile mechanic who can perform oil changes, tune-ups, brake work and minor repairs. 

Contact info: bordenmechanics@outlook.com 

1. Carribean Jerk Cuisine: If there’s one thing everyone knows about college students,it’s that they love a good food truck! If you’re a fan of spicy flavourful food or looking to try something new, you might want to swing by and grab a plate from here. This place has a great selection of Carribean food at decent prices. Caribbean Jerk Cuisine was founded by Kamal Fraser who is also head chef, and has over 15 years of culinary experience. You can usually find the truck parked on Church Street in Conway.

Business site: Caribbean Jerk Cuisine – Food – Conway, South Carolina (caribbeanjerkfood.com)

Kevlyn Lewis

Coastal Carolina '22

Kevlyn is an undergraduate student studying Communication and Spanish at Coastal Carolina University. She is passionate about writing, photography, and health & wellness. In her free time, she practices yoga, runs 5ks, and binge watches TikToks.