This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Ever wonder how the political parties in America got to how they are today? What was their original intention? When and why the party swap occurred? Look no further, because I am about to tell you!

On September 17th, 1787 the constitution was eventually ratified and adopted. During 1787, political factions began to form during the struggle to ratify the constitution with the Federalists and Anti-federalists. The Anti-Federalists opposed the creation of a national government as they believed individual states should have the authority to create their own laws and regulations. Despite the first President, George Washington who served unaffiliated to a party from 1789 to 1797, warning of “the baneful effects of the spirit of party”, they still formed and stuck around as a response to conflict during the first few presidents’ tenures. Likewise, Alexander Hamilton and James Madison also warned against parties in Federalist papers #9 and #10. However, they then ended up being core leaders in the party system.

The first party system which lasted from 1792 through 1824 started the two-party system that has dominated The United States ever since, despite other parties existing. The two parties in the first system included the Federalist party led by Alexander Hamilton and the Democratic-Republican party led by James Madison and Thomas Jefferson. During this time as well, on July 16th, 1790 Congress declared Washington D.C. the capital of The United States. Then on December 15th, 1791 the Bill of Rights was ratified as a way to formally spell out and guarantee American rights in relation to their government. During September 1872 James Madison coined the term “Republican Party” in an essay, and overtime the federalist party shifted into the Republican party. 

The second party system began in 1828 and ended in 1854. It consisted of the Whig party and the Democratic party. The Whig party came from the National Republican party led by Henry Clay. Meanwhile, the democratic party was led by Andrew Jackson.

The Third-Party System began in 1854 and ended during the 1890s. The two parties were the Republican Party and the Democratic party. The Republican party grew from Whigs, adopting the majority of their beliefs and agenda including anti-slavery. The democratic party was in majority control of both the House of Representatives and the Senate during the time.

The Fourth Party System began in 1896 and ended in 1932. The two parties were the same as the Third-party system, however, there was a major shift in central issues of debate. During this time, the Republicans were dominant in the industrial Northeast. 

The Fifth and Sixth Party Systems have lasted from 1933 to now. The Fifth Party system emerged from The New Deal at the beginning of 1933. The New Deal was passed by President Franklin D Roosevelt who was a Democrat. During this time, Democrats supported The New Deal, promoted American liberalism, and tended to be made up of ethnoreligious constitutes (Catholic, Jewish, African Americans), and white southerners. Republicans were in opposition and were separated by a conservative wing, including the moderate wing of the Northeast as well. 

Experts argue if the Fifth Party system ended in the 1960s when the New Deal died out and the Sixth Party system came as a result of the Reagans coalition in the 1980s, or if we are currently in a type of new form of the 5th party system. In the latter half of the 20th century, republicans who are more conservative became dominant in the south while Democrats who are more liberal became more increasingly reliant on a coalition of African Americans, Hispanics, and Urban-white progressives.

So while we may all be separated in today’s world, especially with it being a presidential election year, the cycle of beliefs is ever-changing. 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/two-party-system

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-politicalscience/chapter/the-history-of-political-parties/

https://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/america-101-why-do-we-have-a-two-party-system-video

Brianna Barnes

Coastal Carolina '24

Brianna is an honors college student studying Business Management. She is from the D.C. area and loves the beach, hanging out with friends, listening to music, and watching the Bachelor. She hopes to entertain and educate with her writing!