This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Veganism is on the rise and plant-based milk is making a big appearance. If you have not yet tried or are not familiar with these non-dairy alternatives, here’s a glimpse at a few types.  

Almond milk

Definitely a more popular alternative, almond milk was the first vegan milk that I tried, and I loved it. It is great for smoothies, high in calcium and overall relatively versatile. Personally, I discovered that almond milk caused me to have an allergic reaction however which led me to find other alternatives.

Oat milk:

Another current favorite of mine, oat milk has a sweet distinct flavor and a lighter texture making it good for baking desserts. It also has high fiber content and a decent amount of protein.

Flax milk:

I very recently tried flax milk because oat milk was out of stock and I might actually switch to flax. To compensate for having no protein or fiber, flax milk is very high in omega-3 fats. It has a slightly sweet taste as well and is very thin like skim milk, so I like to use it for my coffee.

Coconut milk:

Be careful with coconut milk because it can either come in a carton or a can. For drinking, the carton is the better option and it is usually considered to have a richer and creamier flavor. It also has a very specific flavor that does not taste like cows’ milk but still is good to drink. The canned milk is noticeably thicker and more used for baking.

Soymilk:

Great for baking and very similar to cows’ milk, soymilk is another great option. I personally like soymilk because of the high protein content (even more than dairy) and how well it can be used for cooking for any dish that calls for cow’s milk. Typically, I do not prefer drinking soymilk because its thicker like whole milk, but to each their own.

Rice milk:

As an avid cereal eater, I like to use rice milk because it’s light and for me, it tastes more like cow milk than any of the others. Because it is made from rice rather than nuts it has a higher carb level of carbs as well as no protein and less fiber than other non-dairy milk. It also can be used in cooking for lighter based foods like sauces or soups.  

Maddie attends Coastal Carolina University where she is planning on majoring in political science with a double minor in marketing and global studies. She wants to travel the world- and when shes not napping shes watching Tedtalks.